Promises Treatment Centers
|Headquarters||Malibu, California, United States|
Promises Treatment Centers is a for-profit provider of residential drug and alcohol rehabilitation with facilities in Malibu, California and West Los Angeles, California. It uses the trademarked "Malibu Model" of treatment, which allows patients more freedom and privatized treatment.
The company is owned by Richard Rogg.
For its treatment method, Promises uses the term "Malibu Model" which it registered in 2004 as a service mark. The Malibu Model differs from traditional models by allowing patients more liberty and providing privatized treatment, in contrast to regular rehab involving peer groups, never leaving the facility, and limited visitors. The Malibu Model has come under criticism, with some critics claiming the model prioritizes the rehabilitation of public relations rather than addiction treatment.
As of 2007, the fee for a one-month stay is $49,000, which must be paid in advance and is non-refundable if the client leaves or is expelled prior to completion of the stay. According to the Los Angeles Times, the no-refund policy has prompted a number of lawsuits. Promises' celebrity clientele has included Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears. and Marilyn Manson.
Promises is not licensed to provide physician or medical services. In 2004, the state of California cited the organization for providing medical services, administering TB tests and having doctors conduct physical exams. Promises stopped the practice as a result.
- USPTO website, Serial #76505065, SM of Richard Rogg and WESTSIDE SOBER LIVING CENTERS, INC, now Promises Treatment Centers
- Rehab - Is Rehab a Publicity Tool for Public Figures?
- Little Evidence that Costly Treatment Programs Work, Join Together, 2007-06-18, retrieved 2007-12-29
- The trouble with rehab, Malibu-style, Los Angeles Times, October 9, 2007
- Waxman, Sharon (2007-06-17), Stars Check In, Stars Check Out, New York Times, retrieved 2007-12-29
- Britney Spears Completes Stint in Rehab, People, 2007-03-21, retrieved 2007-12-29
|This United States corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|