Promotion is one of the market mix elements or features, and a term used frequently in marketing. The specification of five promotional mix or promotional plan. These elements are personal selling, advertising, sales promotion, direct marketing, and publicity. A promotional mix specifies how much attention to pay to each of the five subcategories, and how much money to budget for each. A promotional plan can have a wide range of objectives, including: sales increases, new product acceptance, creation of brand equity, positioning, competitive retaliations, or creation of a corporate image. Fundamentally, however there are three basic objectives of promotion. These are:
- To present information to consumers as well as others.
- To increase demand.
- To differentiate a product.
There are different ways to promote a product in different areas of media. Promoters use internet advertisement, special events, endorsements, and newspapers to advertise their product. Many times with the purchase of a product there is an incentive like discounts, free items, or a contest. This is to increase the sales of a given product.
The term "promotion" is usually an "in" expression used internally by the marketing company, but not normally to the public or the market - phrases like "special offer" are more common. An example of a fully integrated, long-term, large-scale promotion are My Coke Rewards and Pepsi Stuff. The UK version of My Coke Rewards is Coke Zone.
Promotional activities to push a brand enabling social media channels to spread content making something viral such as the advertising by Coke  using the release of a new bond film creating a huge amount of attention which then gets promoted across all social channels by people spreading the information due to excitement.
Promotion can be done by different Media's , namely print media which includes Newspaper and magazines , Electronic media which includes radio and television , Digital media which includes internet , social networking and social media sites and lastly outdoor media which includes banner ads , OOH (out of home) .
- Sales promotion
- List of marketing topics
- Marketing management
- Spin (public relations)
- Market mix modeling
- Rajagopal. (2007) Marketing Dynamics: Theory and Practice. New Delhi, India: New Age International. Retrieved April 5, 2010, from NJIT EBook Library: http://www.njit.eblib.com.libdb.njit.edu:8888/patron/FullRecord.aspx?p=437711
- Kurtz, Dave. (2010). Contemporary Marketing Mason, OH: South-Western Cengage Learning.
- Advertising by Coke: http://www.chameleonwebservices.co.uk/advertising-by-coke-to-unlock-the-007-in-us/
- Coca-Cola Christmas Advert :http://www.thedrum.com/news/2013/11/08/coca-cola-christmas-ad-hit-screens-during-x-factor
|This marketing-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|