Prompton State Park
|Prompton State Park|
|Pennsylvania State Park|
|Natural Monument (IUCN III)|
|Named for: the nearby community of Prompton|
|- elevation||1,289 ft (393 m) |
|Area||2,000 acres (809 ha)|
|Managed by||Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources|
|Website : Prompton State Park|
Prompton State Park is a Pennsylvania state park on 2,000 acres (809 ha) in Clinton and Dyberry Townships, Wayne County, Pennsylvania in the United States. This park, which was established in 1962, is officially listed by the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources as being undeveloped. This means that it is officially a state park but the PA-DCNR is not currently managing the park. However, the lands of the park are open to visitors. Friends of Prompton State Park, a grassroots organization is working to take over management of the park in much the same way that Salt Springs State Park in Susquehanna County is managed by The Friends of Salt Springs Park. Northeast Sports Ltd. of Honesdale sponsors several outdoor sports events that are held at the park. Prompton State Park is 4.2 miles (6.8 km) west of Honesdale on Pennsylvania Route 170.
Nearby state parks
- Archbald Pothole State Park (Lackawanna County)
- Gouldsboro State Park (Monroe and Wayne Counties)
- Lackawanna State Park (Lackawanna County)
- Promised Land State Park (Pike County)
- Tobyhanna State Park (Monroe and Wayne Counties)
- Varden Conservation Area (Wayne County)
- "Prompton State Park". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. December 1, 1989. Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- "Friends of Prompton State Park". Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Dept. of Environmental Protection published July 13, 2002. Archived from the original on 2006-09-24. Retrieved 2006-11-24.
- United States Geological Survey. "Prompton State Park". Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. Retrieved 2006-11-24.
- "Honesdale Tourism Information". Honesdale.com. Retrieved 2006-11-24.
- Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, Bureau of Planning and Research, Geographic Information Division. 2007 General Highway Map Wayne County Pennsylvania (Map). 1:65,000. ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_pdf_files/Maps/GHS/Roadnames/wayne_GHSN.pdf. Retrieved 2007-07-27. Note: park is just north of Prompton, but is not shown in this map since it is not developed
- "Find a Park by Region (interactive map)". Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- Michels, Chris (1997). "Latitude/Longitude Distance Calculation". Northern Arizona University. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- PDF (497.6 KB)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prompton State Park.|