Prosperity, South Carolina
|Prosperity, South Carolina|
|Motto: "Equal to the Name"|
Location of Prosperity, South Carolina
|• Total||2.1 sq mi (5.5 km2)|
|• Land||2.1 sq mi (5.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||541 ft (165 m)|
|• Density||495.9/sq mi (191.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1250259|
Prosperity is located at (34.210657, -81.534347).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.5 km²), all of it land.
Prosperity was chartered in 1851 under the name Frog Level. The name was changed to Prosperity by popular demand in 1873.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,047 people, 415 households, and 293 families residing in the town. The population density was 495.9 people per square mile (191.6/km²). There were 456 housing units at an average density of 216.0 per square mile (83.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 53.20% White, 44.79% African American, 0.67% Asian, 0.48% Pacific Islander, 0.19% from other races, and 0.67% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.39% of the population.
There were 415 households out of which 33.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.0% were married couples living together, 19.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.2% were non-families. 26.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the town the population was spread out with 27.8% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 29.1% from 25 to 44, 22.0% from 45 to 64, and 14.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 78.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 77.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $30,875, and the median income for a family was $39,261. Males had a median income of $31,406 versus $19,226 for females. The per capita income for the town was $15,323. About 14.6% of families and 16.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.5% of those under age 18 and 14.9% of those age 65 or over.
- John Buzhardt, Major League Baseball pitcher
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings". Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 10/03/11 through 10/07/11. National Park Service. 2011-10-14.