Vesiculae seminales and ampullæ of ductus deferentes, seen from the front.
The male urethra laid open on its anterior (upper) surface.
The prostatic utricle (Latin for "pouch of the prostate") is a small indentation in the prostatic urethra, at the apex of the urethral crest, on the seminal colliculus (verumontanum), laterally flanked by openings of the ejaculatory ducts. It is also known as the vagina masculina or (in older literature) vesicula prostatica.
It is often described as "blind", meaning that it is a duct that does not lead to any other structures.
The prostatic utricle might serve no function. It is important primarily because it is the male homologue of the female uterus and vagina, usually described as derived from the Müllerian ducts, although this is occasionally disputed.
In 1905 Robert William Taylor stated the function of the utricle thusly: "In coitus it so contracts that it draws upon the openings of the ejaculatory ducts, and thus renders them so patulous that the semen readily passes through."
- Henry Thompson (1883). "vesicula+prostatica"+utricle The diseases of the prostate. J&A Churchill.
- Meisheri IV, Motiwale SS, Sawant VV (2000). "Surgical management of enlarged prostatic utricle". Pediatr. Surg. Int. 16 (3): 199–203. doi:10.1007/s003830050722. PMID 10786981.
- Lopatina OA, Berry TT, Spottswood SE (2004). "Giant prostatic utricle (utriculus masculinis): diagnostic imaging and surgical implications". Pediatr Radiol 34 (2): 156–9. doi:10.1007/s00247-003-1048-9. PMID 12961046.
- Kawashima, A.; Sandler, C. M.; Wasserman, N. F.; LeRoy, A. J.; King, B. F.; Goldman, S. M. (1 October 2004). "Imaging of Urethral Disease: A Pictorial Review". Radiographics 24 (suppl_1): S195–S216. doi:10.1148/rg.24si045504.
- Shapiro E, Huang H, McFadden DE et al. (2004). "The prostatic utricle is not a Müllerian duct remnant: immunohistochemical evidence for a distinct urogenital sinus origin". J. Urol. 172 (4 Pt 2): 1753–6; discussion 1756. doi:10.1097/01.ju.0000140267.46772.7d. PMID 15371806.
- R. W. Taylor. "A practical treatise on sexual disorders of the male and female". New York and Philadelphia, 1897; 3rd edition, 1905. P. 48
- Prostatic+utricle at eMedicine Dictionary
- Anatomy photo:44:05-0204 at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center—"The Male Pelvis: The Prostate Gland"
- pelvis at The Anatomy Lesson by Wesley Norman (Georgetown University) (malebladder)
- figures/chapter_34/34-3.HTM — Basic Human Anatomy at Dartmouth Medical School