Prostitution in Ukraine
According the Ukrainian Institute of Social Studies in 2011 there were 50,000 women working as prostitutes with every sixth prostitute being a minor. The organisation claimed the largest number of prostitutes were found (in 2011) in Kiev (about 9,000 people), then in the Odessa area (about 6,000), about 3,000 could be found in Dnipropetrovsk and in Donetsk, in Kharkiv 2,500 and 2,000 were said to have worked in Crimea. Research by the State Institute for Family and Youth Issues indicates that, for many women, sex work has become the only adequate source of income: more than 50% of them support their children and parents. 10% of adolescents living on the streets (in 2011) were suspected to have provided sex to other men for food and clothing.
Reform to prostitution laws
Engagement in prostitution is an administrative offence in Ukraine from 12 June 1987 when it was forbidden by Supreme Court of Ukraine.
Laws criminalising organised prostitution and penalties for human trafficking have had little effect because many convicted traffickers often do not end up serving prison time. On 12 January 2005 the Ukrainian parliament passed tougher criminal penalties for human trafficking and coerced prostitution. However, previous laws criminalising organised prostitution have had little effect.
- "US Department of State: Ukraine". Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- Antonova, Natalia (2012-04-24). "Welcome to Kiev: city of beautiful women and a prospering sex industry". The Guardian (London).
- (Ukrainian) В Україні кожна шоста повія - неповнолітня, UNIAN (12 April 2012)
- Ukraine and HIV/AIDS: Time to Act, Kyiv, Ukraine Human Development Report. Special Edition (page 13), UNDP (2003)
- "Pimps rub their hands over Euro 2012". Radio Netherlands Worldwide. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "Sex In The City - Ukraine". Journeyman Pictures. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- The International Encyclopedia of Sexuality
- Factbook on Global Sexual Exploitation
- Sociological study examines sex business in Ukraine
- The Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children
- Sexploitation protests in Kiev
|This article relating to Ukraine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|