|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
Protistology is a scientific discipline devoted to the study of protists, a highly diverse group of eukaryotic organisms. Its field of study overlaps with more traditional disciplines of phycology, mycology, and protozoology, just as protists, which, being a paraphyletic group embrace algae, some organisms regarded previously as primitive fungi, and protozoa ("animal" motile protists lacking chloroplasts).
Dedicated academic journals include European Journal of Protistology, International Journal of Protistology (Acta Protozoologica),Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology (formerly Journal of Protozoology), Protist, and Protistology.
- "European Journal of Protistology". Elsevier. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "International Journal of Protistology (Acta Protozoologica)". Jagiellonian University Press. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology". Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Protist". Elsevier. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Protistology, an international journal". Retrieved 12 January 2013.