|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
Protistology is a scientific discipline devoted to the study of protists, a highly diverse group of eukaryotic organisms. Its field of study overlaps with more traditional disciplines of phycology, mycology, and protozoology, just as protists, which, being a paraphyletic group embrace algae, some organisms regarded previously as primitive fungi, and protozoa ("animal" motile protists lacking chloroplasts).
Dedicated academic journals include:
- European Journal of Protistology (formerly Protistologica);
- International Journal of Protistology (Acta Protozoologica);
- Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology (formerly Journal of Protozoology);
- Protist (formerly Archiv für Protistenkunde);
- "European Journal of Protistology". Elsevier. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "International Journal of Protistology (Acta Protozoologica)". Jagiellonian University Press. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology". Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Protist". Elsevier. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Protistology, an international journal". Retrieved 12 January 2013.