|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-door sedan|
|Engine||1.6L CamPro S4PH DOHC I4
1.6L CamPro IAFM DOHC I4
|Wheelbase||2,600 mm (102.4 in)|
|Length||4,477 mm (176.3 in)|
|Width||1,725 mm (67.9 in)|
|Height||1,438 mm (56.6 in)|
|Curb weight||1,170 kg (2,579.4 lb) - 1,190 kg (2,623.5 lb)|
The Proton Persona is a compact car developed by Proton. It is based on an extended Proton Gen-2 platform and was intended to be a 4-door saloon alternative to the former. The Persona replaced the saloon variant of the Proton Wira upon its debut in 2007, and was later succeeded by the Proton Prevé in 2012. All Personas are manufactured at Proton's second plant in Tanjung Malim, Perak.
The Proton Persona is essentially a saloon based on the Gen-2 hatchback introduced in 2004, and inherits the Persona name from rebadged Wira sold in certain countries. It addresses several main flaws of the Gen-2, although the Gen-2 itself remains in sale.
The most noticeable difference of the Persona from the Gen-2 is the a separate, larger boot, making it better suited to the local market, as Malaysians prefer saloons. More importantly, the roofline slopes less, addressing the many complaints on the lack of rear headroom.
The interior was redesigned to incorporate a glovebox at the dashboard, an accessory that was not available in the Gen-2. The obtrusive analog clock present in the Gen-2's dashboard has also been replaced by a digital one that now resides in the digital display on the instrument panel. In addition, the door trims and panels were modified to feature more ergonomic window switches and door handles, and the pseudo-racing seats were replaced by more conventional and comfortable ones. Fit and finish is noticeably improved a lot and so are the suspension setting as well because it is tuned more to comfort.
A revised version of the Gen-2 launched on March 3, 2008 also incorporates the interior trims of the Persona.
The 1.6 litre Campro engine in the Persona is the same 82 kW (110 hp) unit used in other Proton models but with an improved cast aluminum oil pan design that reduces the chances of damage. A transmission control unit re-calibration on models with automatic transmissions reduces the hunting of gears and improves gear changes in an attempt to mask the dip in the torque curve in the lower and middle rev ranges. It has been announced that in early 2008 the Persona will be equipped with new Campro engines that incorporate a new variable-geometry intake manifold module (Campro IAFM engine) which improves low-end torque and high-rev breathing.
Proton Persona SE
Proton launched a special edition of the Persona on 26 August 2008. It was pitched as a premium version of the existing Proton Persona with exclusive kit and luxury equipment. Only two colours were available; Blue Haze and Brilliant Red respectively, and the car retailed for RM59,800.
Proton Persona Elegance
The Persona given a facelift under the name Proton Persona Elegance on 18 March 2010. It featured a revised front grille, headlamps, front and rear bumper, bodykit, and LED tail lamps. The Campro IAFM engine's power output remains unchanged, but was upgraded with a completely new 32 bit ECU from Continental's VDO division. Five trim lines were available; Base-Line (Manual or Automatic), Medium-Line (Manual or Automatic) and High-line (Automatic) along with five colours; Brilliant Read, Genetic Sliver, Tranquility Black, Bronze Garnet and Chiffon Green respectively. A sixth colour, Solid White, joined the range in May 2011.
Proton Persona SV
Proton launched the Persona SV (in which ‘SV’ is an acronym for ‘Super Value’) at the Proton Bola! Bola! Bola! Mega Test Drive Carnival on 30 November 2013. The launch comes six months after the introduction of the well-received Proton Saga SV. Like the Saga SV, some trim and equipment were removed in an effort to lower its pricing, but Proton did not compromise on safety as the Persona SV is equipped with dual front airbags, front seat belt pre-tensioners and all-round disc brakes with ABS and EBD. Such safety equipment is comparable to its main competitors, the Toyota Vios, Honda City and Nissan Almera. The Persona SV is offered as a larger and more powerful alternative to the Saga SV and is priced between RM44,938 and RM48,388. In comparison, the Saga SV retails between RM33,438 and RM36,888 respectively.
On 10 March 2008, Proton Cars UK announced the new addition of the Proton Persona sedan to the British market, which is known as the Proton Gen-2 Persona, while the Personas sold in other countries (such as Singapore and Australia) retain the name Persona. Besides the United Kingdom, Proton also uses the Gen-2 Persona name for the Indonesian market, and had also been launched in Saudi Arabia on November 22, 2008 and in Egypt on November 24; the Gen-2 model was also jointly launched in Egypt.
While officially marketed in the UK, Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders sales figures for 2008 revealed only 4 units of the Persona were sold in that year, ranking the car as one of the least sold car models in the country in 2008.
Proton participated in the RAC Future Car Challenge on 6 November 2011 with plug-in electric versions of the Persona, Saga and Exora, in which the company claimed 2 awards despite their shortcomings.
- 2011 Best Practices Award – Value-for-Money Car of the Year (1.31 and Above) Malaysia Excellence Awards – Frost & Sullivan
- 2008 Asian Auto - Bosch Fuel Efficiency Awards – 1st place Family Car category (reported average fuel consumption of 6.8 L/100 km (42 mpg-imp; 35 mpg-US). )
- 2008 Frost & Sullivan Best Model of the Year.
|Powertrain Engine & Performance|
|Engine||CamPro / CamPro IAFM, 4 Cylinder, DOHC 16V|
|Maximum Speed (km/h)||180KM/H ~ 200KM/H|
|Acceleration 0–100 km/h (sec)||11.5 seconds|
|Maximum Output hp(kW)/rpm||110 hp [82 KW] / 6000rpm, (or +2 KW @ 6500rpm for IAFM)|
|Maximum Torque (Nm/rpm)||148Nm / 4,000rpm|
|Full tank capacity (Litre)||50|
|Tyres & Rims||195 / 60 R15, Steel or 195 / 60 R15, 6Jx15" Alloy rims|
|Power Steering||Hydraulic Power Steering|
|Suspension (Front/Rear)||MacPherson Strut with anti-roll bar/Multilink with Stabiliser Bar|
|Brake (Front/Rear)||Ventilated discs/rear drums or ventilated discs/ solid discs|
Proton Persona R
On November 9, 2009, the Italian design company Italdesign-Giugiaro has been contracted to develop a C-segment sedan that will meet tougher European and North American standards, as well as possibly utilizing Proton Exora's platform.
It appeared as the Proton Tuah concept in the Kuala Lumpur International Motor Show 2010. In March 2011, it has been spotted several times on the road. A picture of the final build was later uploaded to the internet.
Official Proton Persona Car Clubbers
The Persona Club.Com (TPCC) @ Persona Club Malaysia were established & officially registered with Registry Of Society (ROS) since 2008. It's also the one and only proton persona club officially under Proton Holdings Berhad. Members of club were included 4 regions ea. Central Region, Southern Region, Northern Region and Eastern Region.
- 2012 Proton Persona Review LIVE LIFE DRIVE.
- Tan, Danny (2010-03-18). "Proton Persona Elegance facelift officially launched". Paultan.org. Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- Jonathan James Tan (30 November 2013). "Proton Persona SV launched – from RM44,938". paultan.org. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Anthony Lim (15 June 2013). "Proton Saga SV launched – from RM33,438 OTR". paultan.org. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- Proton Cars (UK) announce new addition to GEN-2 range - from Proton UK official website.
- Persona Debuts in Indonesia - from Proton's official website
- "Proton launches persona in saudi and egypt". Official Proton website. November 24, 2008.
- Mike Rutherford (March 13, 2009). "The cars that nobody wants". Daily Telegraph.
- Mike Rutherford; Daily Telegraph (March 13, 2009). "Proton on list of cars that nobody wants". Malaysian Insider.
- Danny Tan (6 November 2011). "RAC Future Car Challenge Brighton to London: Proton wins two awards, Gordon Murray T.27 is overall winner". paultan.org. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- 9. ^ "莲花汽车-莲花科技,驭悦生活". Youngmanlotus.com. http://www.youngmanlotus.com/3_3.asp. Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- 10. ^ "莲花汽车-莲花科技,驭悦生活". Youngmanlotus.com. http://www.youngmanlotus.com/6_5.asp. Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- 11. ^ "莲花汽车-莲花科技,驭悦生活". Youngmanlotus.com. http://www.youngmanlotus.com/6_5.asp. Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- 12. ^ a b YS Khong (2008-08-26). "Persona SE (Special Edition) Launched By Proton". Auto World. http://www.autoworld.com.my/emzine/review/viewarticle.asp?awReviewId=2440&awCatId=RT.ATC.CAR.PV. Retrieved 2009-05-13.
- 13. ^ Tan, Danny (2010-03-18). "Proton Persona Elegance facelift officially launched". Paultan.org. http://paultan.org/2010/03/18/proton-persona-elegance-facelift-officially-launched/. Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- 14. ^ Persona kembalikan gemilang Utusan Malaysia, 16 August 2007.
|Proton's compact car
|Proton road vehicle timeline, 1985–present|
|Subcompact||Satria / Compact / 300 series / Satria GTi||Satria Neo|
|Saga / Knight / Saga Iswara / Mpi / LMST||Saga / BLM / S16 / Saga FL / Saga FLX|
|Compact||Wira / Persona / 400 series|
|Persona / Gen-2 Persona|
|Waja / Impian||Inspira|
|Coupé||Putra / Coupé / M21||Putra|
|Utility||Arena / Jumbuck|