Providence Equity Partners
|Type||Limited liability company|
|Founder(s)||Jonathan M. Nelson, CEO|
|Headquarters||50 Kennedy Plaza
Providence, Rhode Island, USA
|Key people||Glenn M. Creamer, Senior Managing Director
Paul J. Salem, Senior Managing Director
|Products||Leveraged buyouts, Growth capital|
|Total assets||$37 billion|
Providence Equity Partners LLC is an American global private equity investment firm focused on media, communications, education and information investments. The firm specializes in leveraged buyout transactions as well as growth capital investments and has invested in more than 130 companies globally since its inception in 1989.
The firm manages funds with over $37 billion in commitments, making it a large global player in the private equity industry. The firm also invests in credit funds through its Capital Markets group and affiliate, Benefit Street Partners. Providence was one of the principal pioneers of a sector-based approach to private equity investing. The firm’s sixth fund, Providence Equity Partners VI, closed on $12 billion in 2007, making it the largest sector-focused private equity fund ever raised.
Providence is headquartered in Providence, Rhode Island with five additional offices in New York, London, Hong Kong, Beijing and New Delhi.
Providence is led by Founder and CEO Jonathan M. Nelson. The firm raises investment funds from a broad array of institutional investors, including pension funds, endowments, sovereign wealth funds, financial institutions, insurance companies, fund of funds, and high net worth individuals.
Providence partners with companies across different stages in their development, from growth capital and complex recapitalizations of family-owned businesses to large buyouts and take-privates. The firm targets equity investments of $150 million to $800 million and can employ a variety of financing structures. Providence prefers to lead its investments, serve on company boards, and work collaboratively with company management.
In 2008, Providence hired Thomas Gahan as president of the firm’s new capital markets group. Prior to joining Providence, Mr. Gahan was head of Deutsche Bank’s corporate and investment banking in the Americas and chief executive officer of Deutsche Bank Securities. The credit platform has 18 investment professionals based in the firm’s New York office.
Providence’s investments have included AutoTrader.com Group, Blackboard Inc., eircom, Hulu, Kabel Deutschland, MLS Media, NEW Asurion, Univision, VoiceStream (now T-Mobile US), Warner Music Group, Western Wireless, and World Triathlon Corporation (Ironman), YES Network, and ZeniMax Media.
Recent investments by the firm include Ambassador Theatre Group, Miller Heiman, Learfield Communications, The Chernin Group, GLM, UFO Moviez India (UMI), and Study Group. Providence’s recent exits by sale or IPO include iQivi, Hulu, YES Network, Decision Recourses, MobileServ (Phones 4U), Bresnan Communications, and Kabel Deutschland. In March 2013, Providence and The National Football League (NFL) formed a global partnership to invest primarily in sports and entertainment related media assets.
In September 2012, Providence sold a less than 10% stake in the firm to Florida’s state pension system and a sovereign wealth fund.
Senior Advisors that work with the firm on new investment opportunities and certain of the firm’s existing investments, include:
- Steven W. Alesio
- Barry K. Allen
- Tony Ball
- Eran Broshy
- Peter Chernin
- Richard D. Parsons
- Brian A. Napack
- "Company Overview of Providence Equity Partners LLC". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- Ken MacFadyen (January 21, 2010). "Providence Expands Capital Markets Arm". Leveraged Finance News.
- "Providence Equity Raises $12 Billion Buyout Fund". The New York Times. February 21, 2007.
- "Private Equity International magazine's ranking of the world's largest private equity firms.". PEI - Alternative Insight. May 1, 2008.
- "About Us". Provequity.com. Retrieved 2012-09-14.
- "Movers & shakers: Sept. 26, 2008". The Deal (magazine). September 26, 2008.
- "PROVIDENCE EQUITY PARTNERS NAMES RICHARD BYRNE PRESIDENT OF CREDIT INVESTMENT ARM, BENEFIT STREET PARTNERS". Providence Equit Partners. March 19, 2013.
- Anne-Sylvaine Chassany (October 21, 2013). "Providence buys Ambassador Theatre Group for £350m". Financial Times.
- LEARFIELD MEDIA SERVICES (September 10, 2013). "Shamrock Capital to sell Learfield to Providence Equity". The Southern Illinoisan.
- "Providence Equity Partners Acquires Miller Heiman". PR Newswire. January 9, 2013.
- "Recent News". Provequity.com. Retrieved 2012-09-14.
- "Baidu Buys iQiyi.com from Providence Equity". PE HUB. November 2, 2012.
- Andy Fixmer (October 13, 2012). "Providence Said to Sell 10% Hulu Stake for $200 Million". Bloomberg Businessweek.
- Nadia Damouni (March 18, 2013). "NFL, Providence Equity form strategic investment partnership". Reuters.
- "Providence Equity Said to Sell Stake in Firm to Investors". Bloomberg Businessweek. September 25, 2012.