Provincetown International Film Festival
The Provincetown International Film Festival (PIFF) is an annual film festival founded in 1999 and held in Provincetown, Massachusetts. The festival presents an array of American and international narrative features, documentaries and short films for five days in June of each year.
With panel discussions and special programs such as Youth and Diversity and Portuguese film sidebars, the festival makes a special effort to honor and incorporate the unique cultural, historic, and artistic character of Provincetown with its thriving art colony, its large gay and lesbian population, its original Native American and Portuguese heritage, and its congenial scenic setting. In keeping with its edgy mission, the festival often presents films about countercultural figures, such as John Lennon, Beat poet Allen Ginsberg, and writer William S. Burroughs.
The festival is a program of the Provincetown Film Society, the non-profit parent organization which also operates the year-round Waters Edge Cinema (formerly known as Whaler's Wharf Cinema), a year-round Provincetown movie theater presenting what it considers the best in current independent and international cinema.
In its ongoing mission to honor the work of both established and emerging directors, the Provincetown International Film Festival has established a number of awards.
In addition to the usual "best film" types of awards, each year PIFF presents a unique and prestigious award, the Filmmaker on the Edge Award, to honor visionary filmmakers who have expanded the boundaries of the art. Since 2007 PIFF has also presented an Excellence in Acting Award.
Filmmaker on the Edge Award
This award is sponsored by the Coolidge Theater Foundation.
Excellence in Acting Award
Faith Hubley Memorial Award
- 2003: Mira Nair
- 2008: Jane Lynch
- 2010: Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman
- 2012: Kirby Dick
- 2013: Edward Lachman
- 2014: Debra Winger
- Cox, Gordon (27 April 2010). "Provincetown fetes A-listers". Variety. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- "13th Annual Provincetown International Film Festival Opening Night Party". provincetown live.net. 13 June 2011. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Oscar Winners Kudos at P-Town Film Fest". Outtake. 14 June 2010. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- "Ptown Film Fest Honors Gay Filmmakers". The Advocate. 27 April 2010. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- Keough, Peter (16 June 2010). "Cinema paradisos". The Boston Phoenix. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- Miller, Tim (21 June 2010). "Festival winners". Cape Cod Times. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- Karren, Howard (23 June 2010). "Winners aplenty at Provincetown International Film Festival". Wicked Local. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- Brooks, Brian (18 June 2012). "Invisible War, Any Day Now Win at Provincetown Film Festival". Movieline. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- Keough, Peter (14 June 2010). "There was a film fest from Nantucket . . . and P'town". The Boston Phoenix. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- "FILMMAKER ON THE EDGE". Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- "CAREER ACHIEVEMENT". Retrieved 14 December 2012.