Prva HNL Player of the Year
The Prva HNL Player of the Year award (Croatian: Najbolji nogometaš HNL) is an annual association football award given by the Croatian newspaper Slobodna Dalmacija. It is awarded to the best football player who plies his trade in the Prva HNL (or "1. HNL"), Croatian top flight and winners are chosen by the newspaper's sports editors. Winners for the preceding year are usually announced around 1 January and all players who had spent the entire calendar year playing in the league are eligible for the award, regardless of their nationality.
The award was established in 1992. Igor Cvitanović holds the record for most wins with three awards won between 1992 and 1997, followed by Stipe Pletikosa and Niko Kranjčar with two wins each. The current award holder is Sammir of Dinamo Zagreb.
† denotes shared wins
Notes on club name changes:
- Dinamo Zagreb changed their name to "HAŠK Građanski" in June 1991 and then again in February 1993 to "Croatia Zagreb". They reverted to "Dinamo Zagreb" in February 2000.
- The present-day NK Varaždin was called "Varteks" from 1958 until June 2010.
- Sportske novosti Yellow Shirt award, for the HNL footballer of the year, given by the Croatian sport newspaper Sportske novosti, chosen by sport journalists.
- Prva HNL Best Player of the Year, given by the Croatian web site Tportal, chosen by captains of league clubs.
- Croatian Footballer of the Year, given by the Croatian newspaper Večernji list, chosen by sport journalists.
- Alfirević, Slaven (1 January 2010). "Tradicionalni izbor Slobodne Dalmacije: na vrhu usamljen Mandžukić" (in Croatian). Slobodna Dalmacija. Retrieved 4 May 2011.
- Vulas, Frane; Alfirević, Slaven (5 January 2011). "Najbolji u HNL-u 2010. godine: Sammir ipak ispred Ibričića i Vukušića" (in Croatian). Slobodna Dalmacija. Retrieved 4 May 2011.