||This section contains information of unclear or questionable importance or relevance to the article's subject matter. Please help improve this article by clarifying or removing superfluous information. (January 2010)|
|Also known as||Stranglefuck|
|Origin||Rochester, New York, United States|
|Genres||Avant-garde metal, mathcore|
|Years active||2002–2010, 2012-present|
Black Market Activities
|Website||www.myspace.com/psyopus Official MySpace|
|Past members||Greg Herman
Psyopus (sometimes written as PsyOpus) is a mathcore band from Rochester, New York. Formed in 2002, the band is noted for the unorthodox and extremely technical guitar techniques of Christopher Arp, often referred to as "Arpmandude". In order to receive endorsement deals from various guitar and amp companies, Arp had to send a live video of himself playing in order to prove that he could actually play as fast as he does. Arp considers Psyopus to be a very technically proficient band: "I understand people not understanding us so by default the music comes across as noise but, the music makes sense to us all too much and every 16th note was scrutinized." Regarding learning to play guitar, Arp says: "I learned to play guitar in my bedroom. I got my first guitar in eighth grade. I bought Metallica tablature books, Megadeth books, guitar magazines, didn’t do homework and just played guitar all night."
The band released their 2nd album Our Puzzling Encounters Considered in February 2007. The techniques Arp uses have made it even more difficult to receive any endorsement. Arp himself said, "Mesa Boogie has not done very much to sponsor me because I do too much of this," as he raised his guitar by the whammy bar shaking it up and down. The band released their third studio album Odd Senses, on February 17, 2009.
The band entered an extended hiatus in 2010.
In 2011, Christopher Arp posted several videos of himself on youtube explaining the history and eventual hiatus of Psyopus.
The band's hiatus may have been interrupted in 2012, when a photo appeared on Arp's FaceBook page showing him with Michael Van Munster and Ike Schultz. A comment on the photo by long-time Psyopus producer, Doug White, showed that he was working with the three in the studio.
On October 2012, it was revealed on 'Metal Injection' that Psyopus would be reuniting with three of the four original members: Chris Arp, Adam Frappolli, Fred Decoste. Joining them on drums will be Jason Bauers, who was a member until the hiatus began.
- Adam Frappolli - lead vocals (2002–2007, 2012-present)
- Christopher Arp - guitar (2002–present)
- Fred DeCoste - bass (2002–2007, 2012-present)
- Jason Bauers - drums, percussion (2007–present)
- Brian Woodruff - vocals (2008–2010)
- Greg Herman - drums, percussion (2002–2004) (Sheild Your Eyes,Valpurga, Inertia, Kalibas, Low Ton, North American Wildlife)
- Lee Fisher - drums, percussion (2004–2005) (Commit Suicide, Overlord Exterminator)
- Corey Barnes - drums, percussion (2005–2006) (Paria)
- Jon Cole - drums, percussion (2006–2007) (Pillory, See You Next Tuesday)
- Harrison Christy - lead vocals (2007–2008) (The Jefferson Plane Crash)
- Michael Horn - bass (2007–2009) (The Osedax, Mod Flanders Conspiracy)
- Travis Morgan - bass (2009 touring)(Atheist)
- Brian Kelly - bass (2009 touring)
- Brent Glover - bass (2009 touring)(Bellicist, Reciprocal)
- 2004: Ideas of Reference (Black Market Activities)
- 2007: Our Puzzling Encounters Considered (Metal Blade)
- 2009: Odd Senses (Metal Blade)