|Kuhl's flying gecko|
|Kuhl's Flying Gecko, Ptychozoon kuhli|
Not evaluated (IUCN 3.1)
Kuhl's flying gecko or common flying gecko (Ptychozoon kuhli) is a species of gecko which has adaptations to its skin, including flaps on either side of its body, webbed feet, and a flattened tail to allow it to glide over short distances. These geckos have a remarkable camouflage. The flaps of skin along their sides help them blend with tree bark. Often, the eyes are the only way to see them.
Flying geckos, like many other gecko species, have evolved intricate toe pads with microscopic hairs that can adhere to nearly any surface, including glass.
Southern Thailand (Nakhon Si Thammarat, Satun, Pattani), Myanmar, northeastern India, Malaysian Peninsula (incl. Pulau Tioman, Johor: Pulau Besar), Nicobar Islands, Indonesia (Sumatra, Java, Borneo, Simalur), and Singapore.
Flying geckos require among other things a 15-20 gallon terrarium and careful handling. They should be handled as little as possible, due to possible damage to their skin. Flying geckos are insectivorous. In captivity, they feed on crickets, mealworms, superworms and waxworms.
- Flying Geckos - Facts, Pet Supplies Comparison Shopping. Awesome Pet Library. Retrieved January 14, 2011. "As with most tree dwelling or arboreal geckos, it is best not to touch or handle these geckos frequently. Their skin is sensitive and can be damaged easily."
- Brown, Rafe M., John W. Ferner and Arvin C. Diesmos. 1997 Definition of the Philippine Parachute Gecko, Ptychozoon intermedium Taylor 1915 (Reptilia: Squamata: gekkonidae): Redescription, designation of a neotype, and comparisons with related species. Herpetologica 53 (3):357-373.
- Brown, Rafe M. 1999 New species of parachute gecko (Squamata: Gekkonida genus Ptychozoon) from northeastern Thailand and central Vietnam. Copeia 1999 (4): 990-1001
- Mertens, Robert;Senfft, Walter 1929 Aus dem Leben des Faltengeckos (Ptychozoon kuhli Stejneger) Natur und Museum 59 (4): 218-224
- Stejneger, L. 1902 Ptychozoon kuhli, a new name for P. homalocephalum. Proc. Biol. Soc. (Washington) 15: 37
|Wikispecies has information related to: Ptychozoon kuhli|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ptychozoon kuhli.|
- Ptychozoon kuhli at the Reptarium.cz Reptile Database
|This article about a gecko is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|