A pub chain is a group of pubs or bars with a brand image. The brand may be owned outright by one company, or there may be multiple financiers; the chain may be a division within a larger company, or may be a single operation. Examples include Chef & Brewer, Wetherspoons, Walkabout, Taylor Walker Pubs and All Bar One. Pubs in the chain are typically branded with the same name, however the former "Firkin" pubs tended to be variations on a theme including the word Firkin in the title. Wetherspoons pubs have individual names, with the Wetherspoons brand prominently displayed.
Pub chains such as Punch Taverns and Enterprise Inns own thousands of tenanted pubs which are not branded to retain uniqueness. They are controlled in the brands of beer, ales and lagers and sometimes other beverages that they may sell.
Pub chains operating managed houses are frequently run as brands, located near a high street but rarely in predominantly residential areas.
Multiple-held pubs do exist in countries other than the United Kingdom, but due to most countries having different accepted systems of ownership and supply, they do not hold anywhere near the level of control over the market as they do in the UK.
- Atmosphere Bars and Clubs Ltd
- The "Chicago Rock Cafe" and "Jumpin Jaks" night-club/pub brands were created by Luminar Leisure in 1989, and the Chicago Rock Cafe concept meant the Luminar group became the most successful leisure company of the early 1990s. However, the group found the night-club/pub concept increasingly difficult to keep in profit, and in December 2006 created 3D Entertainment, in a £79m sale and leaseback deal in which it retained a 49% share, to take over the night-club/pub brands, which were restructured into around 55 Chicago Rock Cafes with 15 other sites, including Jumpin Jaks and Mortimers pubs. 3D Entertainment couldn't make the brands successful, and the company went into administration in February 2010, with some of the Chicago Rock Cafe brands being taken over by Atmosphere Bars & Clubs, and other sites being bought by JD Wetherspoons. There are 21 Chicago Rock Cafes in locations all over England and Wales.
- Barracuda Group
- Varsity, Barracuda Bars, Juniper Inns, Cape and Smith & Jones are owned by the Barracuda Group, which is based in Marlow, Buckinghamshire.
- The Hobgoblin pubs are a chain in London and the south of England. They were owned by Wychwood Brewery until 2002.
- Laurel Pub Company
- Laurel (based in Luton) acquired several pub chains using funding arranged by Robert Tchenguiz, including buying Bar Med and Slug & Lettuce from the administrators of SFI Group plc in June 2005 for £80m and also Yates's who were based in Bolton, Greater Manchester, in May 2005 for £202m. Laurel owns the HogsHead chain of high street bars. In April 2007 Laurel also acquired the La Tasca chain of tapas bars for £123m. Tchenguiz bought the company through his company R20 for £151m in November 2004. Laurel were placed into administration in March 2008 and the assets were immediately purchased by Bay Restaurant Group and Town & City Pub Company in a "pre-pack" deal.
- Mitchells & Butlers
- Mitchells & Butlers used to be the retail division of Bass plc, which rebranded in July 2001 to become Six Continents Retail, and again in April 2003 to its current name. The company owns All Bar One, Ember Inns, Edwards, Flares, O'Neills, Miller & Carter, Browns Brasserie, Sizzling pubs, Nicholson's, Crown carveries, Castle and Scream, as well as others. It is the largest UK pub and restaurant group. It is based in Birmingham.
- Oakman Inns and Restaurants
- Oakman (based in Tring) are a chain in the Home Counties. Their first outlet The Akeman won Best UK Pub Design 2009 in The Publican Awards. In 2013, they won the Eat Out Award for Best Pub Company of 2013.
- Pitcher and Piano
- Pitcher and Piano has been owned by Marstons since 1996.
- Punch Taverns
- Punch Taverns is the largest pub and bar operator in the UK, with around 5,000 leased, tenanted and managed pubs. It is headquartered in the traditional brewing centre of Burton upon Trent in Staffordshire. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index. Punch Pub Company is the managed arm of Punch Taverns operating several pub chains. The group owns over 900 outlets nationwide. Pub chains owned by the Punch Pub Company include Chef & Brewer, Taylor Walker, Fayre & Square, Two for £10, Original Pub Company, Flaming Grill Pub Company, Roast Inn, John Barras Pub Company, Real Local Pubs, Two for One and Two for £9.
- Slug and Lettuce
- Slug and Lettuce is owned by the Bay Restaurants Group who are based in Luton, Bedfordshire. Originally part of Grosvenor Inns the chain was bought by SFI group who were based in Woking. In June 2005 SFI Group went into administration at which point the majority of the Slug & Lettuce branded pubs were purchased by Laurel Pub Company for around £70 million. Laurel subsequently went into administration in March 2008, and the chain was acquired by Bay Restaurants Group. There are 80 pubs in the chain, predominantly situated in London, South East England and the Midlands, but also elsewhere in England, Scotland, Wales and the Isle of Man.
- In September 2005, Spirit Group sold its "City Nights" portfolio of in excess of 180 pubs and clubs, en-bloc, to Alchemy - the financial backers behind the newly formed Tattershall Castle Group (TCG) who created the brand, "the1440".
- common knowledge for tied contracts
- "21 Years of Entertainment - Luminar Group Holdings plc Annual Report 2009". luminar.annualreport2009.com. Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- The Makings of Luminar, The Luminar Staff and Shareholder Handbook, 2005, page 1
- "Luminar Group Holdings plc - Chief Executive's Statement". www.luminar.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- "Chicago Rock Café owner interested in Regent Inns - 7/22/2008 - Caterer Search". www.caterersearch.com. Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- "3D Entertainment begins trading". 24 January 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-21.
- Thompson, James (2009-12-05). "Chicago Rock Cafe chain in line for pre-Christmas sale - Business News, Business - The Independent". www.independent.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- "The Publican - Home - Colliers CRE seeking buyers for closed 3D Entertainment sites". www.thepublican.com. Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- "Chicago Rock Cafe in Stortford is sold to pub chain". www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- "Venues". www.chicagosbars.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- "varsitybars.com - Welcome to Varsity". www.varsitybars.com. Retrieved 2010-06-24.
- Punch Taverns
- Tue, Jun 12, 2012, 22:29 BST - UK Markets closed. "Yahoo! UK & Ireland Finance - FTSE, Stock Exchange, Mortgages, Loans & More". Uk.biz.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- "HugeDomains.com - LaurelPubCo.com is for Sale". Laurel Pub Co. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "The Slug and Lettuce, Find A Bar". Slugandlettuce.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- "Pub News & Pub Property Search for the UK pub trade". Thepublican.com. Retrieved 2012-06-12.