- Not to be confused with Public Knowledge Project, a non-profit.
|Purpose||Communications Law & Policy, Intellectual Property, Technology Policy|
|Headquarters||Washington, District of Columbia, U.S.|
Public Knowledge is a non-profit Washington, D.C.-based public interest group that is involved in intellectual property law, competition, and choice in the digital marketplace, and an open standards/end-to-end internet.
Public Knowledge was founded by David Bollier and Gigi Sohn. Gene Kimmelman is president and CEO, Charles Duan is director of its Patent Reform Project, and its directors include Internet Archive Director and Co-founder Brewster Kahle, and former FCC Commissioner Michael J. Copps.  Public Knowledge's work focuses on the three 'IP's of communications and copyright policy: information policy, intellectual property, and Internet Protocol.
The group is known for its advocacy for copyright defenses and exemptions such as fair use and against the expansion of copyright in general. For instance, in response to the FCC's attempt to mandate a broadcast flag for all digital TV tuners, Public Knowledge led the successful legal campaign to have the rule overturned. One study of the politics of digital rights management policy concluded, "Since its 2001 founding, Public Knowledge has risen to prominence as the pre-eminent DC-based policy advocacy organization within the strong fair use coalition."
Board of Directors
The following individuals are on the board as of February 2014.
- Leah Belsky - VP of Strategic Development and Assoc. GC of Kaltura
- Hal Bringman - Founder and President of NVPR
- Michael J. Copps - Former FCC Commissioner
- Maura Colleton Corbett - President and Founder of Glen Echo Group
- Brewster Kahle - Internet Archive, Digital Librarian, Director and Co-founder
- Andrew McLaughlin - Entrepreneur-in-Residence from betaworks
- Michael Petricone - Senior VP of Government Affairs at Consumer Electronics Association
- Gigi B. Sohn - President of Public Knowledge
- Kathleen Wallman - President of Wallman Consulting LLC
- Kevin Werbach - Professor at The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
- Board of Directors Emeritus
- Hal Abelson - Professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- David Bollier - Writer and activist
- Hon. Reed Hundt - Senior Advisor at McKinsey and Company
- Joichi Ito - Director at MIT Media Lab
- "Who we are". Public Knowledge. 2007. Retrieved 2007-07-04.
- "Staff". Public Knowledge. 2014. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- Labaton, Stephen (October 27, 2003). "Rules near on TV piracy; Critics press their case". The New York Times. p. C5.
- Zeller Jr., Tom (February 21, 2005). "Federal effort to head off TV piracy is challenged". The New York Times. pp. C5.
- Labaton, Stephen (May 7, 2005). "Antipiracy rule for broadcasts is struck down". The New York Times. p. A2.
- "The Battle over Digital Rights Management: A Multi-Method Study of the Politics of Copyright Management Technologies". Bill D. Herman, Annenberg School for Communication, University of Pennsylvania. 2009. p. 87. Retrieved 2010-02-27.
- "Board of Directors". Public Knowledge. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Public Knowledge Appoints NVPR President To Board of Directors". Public Knowledge. December 11, 2012. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
|This article related to the politics of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|