Public Services International
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (April 2013)|
|Full name||Public Services International|
|Members||20 million in 154 countries|
|Affiliation||Global union federation|
|Key people||Dave Prentis, President
Rosa Pavanelli, General Secretary
|Office location||Ferney-Voltaire, France|
Public Services International (PSI) is a global union federation of public sector trade unions representing 20 million working women and men who deliver public services in 154 countries. Members work in social services, health care, municipal services, central government and public utilities such as water and electricity. Women represent two-thirds of the membership.
PSI champions human rights, advocates for social justice and promotes universal access to quality public services. PSI is an officially recognised non-governmental organization for the public sector within the International Labour Organization, and works with the United Nations system in partnership with labour, civil society and other organisations.
PSI fights for respect for trade union and other basic human freedoms and rights including gender equality and LGBT rights, democracy, and social justice throughout the world. PSI’s work increases the ability of trade unions to:
- achieve full trade union rights for all public service and public sector workers;
- influence governments; and
- be self-sufficient and responsible for their own policy and priorities, leading to independence and sustainability through increased membership and democratic structures.
PSI maintains that quality public services are an essential part of a civil society in which everyone is treated with dignity and respect. PSI works with the Council of Global Unions in the Quality Public Services—Action Now! campaign which promotes fair taxation as a key means of funding public services.
PSI believes these services play a vital role in supporting families, creating healthy communities, and building strong, equitable democracies.
- "Public Services International". Public Services International. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- "Global Unions". Global Unions. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- "Quality Public Services - Action Now!". Global Unions. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- Public Services International - PSI
- PSI Congress 2012 website
- Public Services International Communicators Action Network - PSI CAN
- Public Services International Research Unit - PSIRU
- Quality Public Services -- Action Now! Campaign website
- Blog for the joint trade union delegation to the UN Commission on Status of Women - UNIONCSW