浦东新区 · Pudong New Area
Pudong landmarks & skyline
Location within Shanghai
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|District Gov't Established||1993|
|• CPC Pudong District Secretary||Xu Lin (徐麟)|
|• District Governor||Jiang Liang (姜樑)|
|• Total||1,210.4 km2 (467.3 sq mi)|
|• Density||4,200/km2 (11,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||China Standard Time (UTC+8)|
|Pudong New Area|
|Wu||phu上ton平 sin平 chiu平|
Pudong (Chinese: 浦东; pinyin: Pǔdōng, lit "Huangpu East Bank") is a district of Shanghai, China, located along the east side of the Huangpu River, across from the historic city center of Shanghai in Puxi. It is administered as the Pudong New Area, a state-level new area.
Pudong is home to the Lujiazui Finance and Trade Zone and the Shanghai Stock Exchange and many of Shanghai's best known buildings, such as the Oriental Pearl Tower, the Jin Mao Building, the Shanghai World Financial Center. It is also the site of the future Shanghai Tower. These modern skyscrapers face directly across from Puxi's historic Bund, a remnant of a former concession in China.
Pudong refers to the land in the east of Huangpu River. Originally, the area was mainly farmland and countryside with some warehouses and wharfs near the shore. The parts closest to Puxi were administered by its districts, including Huangpu, Yangpu, and the former Nanshi District. The rest of the area was administered by Chuansha County.
In 1993, the Chinese government decided to set up a Special Economic Zone in Chuansha, creating the Pudong New Area. The western tip of the Pudong district was designated as the Lujiazui Finance and Trade Zone and was proposed to become the new financial hub of modern China. Several landmark buildings were constructed in Lujiazui to raise the image and awareness of the area. These include the Oriental Pearl Tower, the Jin Mao Building, and the supertall Shanghai World Financial Center. At 494 m, the last will be the tallest building in China of the nearby Shanghai Tower, which is projected to reach 565.6 m in 2014.
Districts of the direct-controlled municipality of Shanghai are administratively on the same level as prefecture-level cities. However, the government of Pudong has a status equivalent to that of a sub-provincial city, which is a half-level above a prefecture-level city. This is due to Pudong's size and importance as the financial hub of China.
Geography and population
Pudong literally means "East Bank". Pudong is bounded by the Huangpu River in the west and the East China Sea in the east. Pudong is distinguished from Puxi ("West Bank"), the older part of Shanghai. It has an area of 1210.4 km² and according to the 2010 Census, a population of 5,044,430 inhabitants, 1.9 million more than in 2000. Currently, at least 2.1 million of residents of Pudong are newcomers from other provinces or cities in China.
Subdistricts and towns
- Weifang New Village Subdistrict (潍坊新村街道)
- Lujiazui Subdistrict (陆家嘴街道)
- Tangqiao Subdistrict (塘桥街道)
- Jinyang New Village Subdistrict (金杨新村街道)
- Zhoujiadu Subdistrict (周家渡街道)
- Dongming Road Subdistrict (东明路街道)
- Shanggang New Village Subdistrict (上钢新村街道)
- Puxing Road Subdistrict (浦兴路街道)
- Huamu Subdistrict (花木街道)
- Hudong New Village Subdistrict (沪东新村街道)
- Nanmatou Road Subdistrict (南码头路街道)
- Yangjing Subdistrict (洋泾街道)
- Shengang Subdistrict (申港街道).
- Chuanshaxin (川沙新镇)
- Heqing (合庆镇)
- Caolu (曹路镇)
- Gaodong (高东镇)
- Gaoqiao (高桥镇)
- Gaohang (高行镇)
- Jinqiao (金桥镇)
- Zhangjiang (张江镇)
- Tang (唐镇)
- Beicai (北蔡镇)
- Sanlin (三林镇)
- Huinan (惠南镇)
- Xinchang (新场镇)
- Datuan (大团镇)
- Zhoupu (周浦镇)
- Hangtou (航头镇)
- Luchaogang (芦潮港镇)
- Kangqiao (康桥镇)
- Xuanqiao (宣桥镇)
- Zhuqiao (祝桥镇)
- Nicheng (泥城镇)
- Shuyuan (书院镇)
- Wanxiang (万祥镇)
- Laogang (老港镇)
Universities and higher education
- Shanghai Maritime University
- China Executive Leadership Academy in Pudong
- Fudan University in Zhangjiang.
Primary and secondary schools
- Dulwich College Shanghai
- Shanghai American School Pudong Campus
- Shanghai Japanese School (SJS) Pudong Campus (elementary and junior high), and SJS Senior High School
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|
With the Nanhui District merger in May 2009, Pudong's new gross domestic product amounts to an estimated 370 billion RMB (US$53.98 billion), roughly equal to that of Slovenia. Its GDP per capita is therefore around US$16,938. The area's aggregate GDP has now surpassed that of six provincial-level entities.
The area is divided into four distinct economic districts. Apart from Lujiazui Trade and Finance Zone, there is Waigaoqiao Free Trade Zone, the largest free trade zone in mainland China covering approximately 10 km² in north-east Pudong. The Jinqiao Export Processing Zone is another major industrial area in Pudong covering 19 km². Zhangjiang Hi-tech Park is a special area for technology-oriented businesses.
The Pudong area continues to experience rapid development, especially in the commercial sector, with 1.3 million square meters of prime office space reaching completion in 2008, more than the previous two years combined.
Pudong has also attracted considerable fixed asset and real estate investment, reporting 87.268 billion RMB in fixed asset investment and 27.997 billion RMB in real estate investment in 2008.
The newest Disney Theme Park is now under construction in Pudong. It is planned to be operational by 2016.
Bao Steel has its head office in the Bao Steel Tower (simplified Chinese: 宝钢大厦; traditional Chinese: 寶鋼大廈; pinyin: Bǎogāng Dàshà) in Pudong. Comac has its head office in Pudong. The headquarters of Yangtze River Express, a cargo airline, are in the Pufa Tower (S: 浦发大厦, T: 浦发大廈, P: Pǔfā Dàshà) in Pudong.
The Shanghai Pudong International Airport opened its doors in 1999, shortening the travel time for visitors.
In the same year, Line 2 of the Shanghai Metro commenced services. An extension brought the line further east, where it serves the airport. Other lines, namely Lines 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12 and 13 also have sections that serve parts of Pudong. A magnetic levitation train began operating in 2004, moving passengers between the airport and Longyang Road Metro station.
Pudong is connected to Puxi by several tunnels and four major bridges. The first of these bridges were the Nanpu Bridge (1991) and the Yangpu Bridge (1993). The Xupu Bridge opened in 1996. The latest of these is Lupu Bridge, which is the world's second longest arch bridge and was completed in 2002. Currently there are five tunnels that link the two sides, Dapu Rd. Tunnel, the first tunnel across the Huangpu River, Yan'an Rd. Tunnel, running east-west, and Dalian Rd. Tunnel, running north-south, Fuxing Rd. Tunnel, complementing the Yan'an Rd. Tunnel, Waihuan Tunnel, one part of Shanghai Outer Ring Express. Two new tunnels linking Lujiazui to Puxi are under construction.
Roads in Pudong have no particular longitudinal or latitudinal orientation. Major thoroughfares Pudong Avenue, Zhangyang Road and Yanggao Road run east-west until Yangpu Bridge before turning gradually to become north-south. Century Avenue crosses all three major roads and extends from Lujiazui to Century Park. Yanggao Road extends south to the A20, Shanghai's outer Ring road, which runs east-west from Xupu Bridge and then north-south beginning at the interchange near Renxi Village, when the east-west expressway turns into Yingbin Avenue, headed for Pudong International Airport.
Pudong at night with Oriental Pearl Tower
View of Pudong area, using HDR technique
View of the Oriental Pearl Tower
Twin towns — Sister cities
Pudong is twinned with:
- Binhai New Area (Tianjin)
- Zhengdong New Area (Zhengzhou)
- Beijing CBD
- Central, Hong Kong
- Nishi-shinjuku (Tokyo)
- Bankenviertel (Frankfurt am Main)
- La Defense (Paris)
- City of London (London)
- Manhattan (New York)
- Singapore CBD
- Financial District (Toronto)
- Chicago Loop
- Bjørvika (Oslo)
- Gangnam-gu (Seoul)
- Chinese Shanghai 2010 Census Data Eastday
- (Chinese) China Statistical Office. Data from the Sixth National Population Census of the People's Republic of China
- "浦东新区-行政区划网 www.xzqh.org" (in Simplified Chinese). XZQH. Retrieved 2012-05-24.
- "Contact Us." Dulwich College Shanghai. Retrieved on October 12, 2013. "DCS MAIN CAMPUS 266 LanAn Rd, JinQiao, PuDong, 201206 地址：上海市浦东金桥蓝桉路266号，201206" and "DUCKS 425 LanAn Rd, Jin Qiao, PuDong 201206 地址：上海市浦东金桥蓝桉路425号，201206"
- Home page. Shanghai American School. Retrieved on February 19, 2014. "Puxi Campus 258 Jinfeng Road Huacao Town, Minhang Dist. Shanghai, China 201107 6221-1445" and "Pudong Campus Shanghai Links Executive Community 1600 Lingbai Road Sanjiagang, Pudong Shanghai, China 201201 6221-1445"
- "Shanghai Japanese School Pudong Campus." Shanghai Japanese School. Retrieved on February 18, 2014. "上海日本人学校 浦東校 〒200127 上海市浦東新区錦康路277号"
- "Home." SJS Senior High School. Retrieved on February 18, 2014. "〒200127 上海市浦東新区錦康路277号"
- Knight Frank China Knight Frank China, Shanghai Commercial Market Quarterly Report, Q4 2009
- Knight Frank China Knight Frank China, Shanghai Commercial Market Quarterly Report, Q1 2009
- "." THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY REACHES ANOTHER MAJOR MILESTONE ON SHANGHAI THEME PARK PROJECT. Retrieved on July 7, 2010.
- "Contact Us." Baosteel. Retrieved on November 10, 2012. "ADD:Baosteel Tower, Pu Dian Road 370, Pudong New District, Shanghai, 200122, P.R. China Postal Code:200122" - Chinese: "上海市浦东新区浦电路370号宝钢大厦"
- "Contact Us." Comac. Retrieved on November 10, 2012. "25 Zhangyang Road, Shanghai" - Chinese: "上海市张杨路25号"
- "Yangtze River Express Airlines Company Limited." HNA Group. Retrieved on February 24, 2014. "Address: Pufa Tower, 588 Pudong South Road, Pudong New Area, Shanghai" - Address in Chinese: "地址：上海市浦东新区浦东南路588号浦发大厦 邮编：200120"
- "Mainland Service Network." Hang Seng Bank. Retrieved on 11 September 2011. "Hang Seng Bank（China）Limited Address: 34/F & 36/F, Hang Seng Bank Tower, 1000 Lujiazui Ring Road, Pudong, Shanghai, China"
- "Office locations." Kroll Inc. Retrieved on 14 August 2011. "Shanghai Room 3031, 30F 1000 Lujiazui Ring Road, Hang Seng Bank Tower Pudong New Area Shanghai 200120 China"
- "Kuopio and Shanghai Pudong have signed a sister city agreement". City of Kuopio. 2012-07-20. Retrieved 2012-08-24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pudong.|