Pueblo Grande Ruin and Irrigation Sites
Pueblo Grande Ruin & Irrigation Sites
Ruins of a building at Pueblo Grande archaeological site.
|Location||4619 E. Washington Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona|
|NRHP Reference #||66000185 (ruin)
66000184 (irrigation sites)
|Added to NRHP||October 15, 1966 (ruin)
October 15, 1966 (irrigation sites)
|Designated NHL||July 19, 1964|
Pueblo Grande Ruin and Irrigation Sites are pre-Columbian archaeological sites and ruins, located in Phoenix, Arizona. It includes a historic platform mound and irrigation canals. The city manages the sites as the Pueblo Grande Museum Archaeological Park.
The prehistoric Hohokam culture created the archaeological structures and items of Pueblo Grande. It is believed that this area was settled around 450 BC. Due to major population movements, among other factors, the site was abandoned by 1450 AD.
Pueblo Grande features a large platform mound with retaining walls, that was formerly surmounted by walled structures. This massive structure contains over 20,000 cubic meters (yards) of fill. There were also many dwellings, and at least three ball courts. Construction of the ball courts was begun by 750 BC.
It consists of two parts, that were on adjacent properties, and both associated with the same history. They were listed separately in the National Register of Historic Places as Pueblo Grande Ruin and Hohokam-Pima Irrigation Sites on the October 15, 1966 date when all National Historic Landmark sites were administratively listed.
Images of the Pueblo Grande Ruin
|Historic Pueblo Grande Ruins in Phoenix, Arizona
(NRHP = National Register of Historic Places)
- Hohokam — other sites:
- List of historic properties in Phoenix, Arizona
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23.
- "Pueblo Grande Ruin & Irrigation Sites". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2007-09-27.
- Snow, Dean R. "Archaeology of Native North America." Prentice Hall, New York: 2010. p. 117.
- ""Pueblo Grande Ruin and Irrigation Sites / Pueblo Grande Municipal Monument, Park of the Four Waters", July 12, 1976, by Francine Weiss" (PDF). National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination. National Park Service. 1976-07-12.
- "Pueblo Grande Ruin and Irrigation Sites / Pueblo Grande Municipal Monument, Park of the Four Waters--Accompanying 8 photos, from 1975 and undated." (PDF). National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination. National Park Service. 1976-07-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pueblo Grande Museum.|
- Pueblo Grande Museum Archaeological Park, official site, City of Phoenix
- Pueblo Grande Museum Auxiliary, a non-profit organization that supports the Pueblo Grande Museum and Archeological Park
- Pueblo Grande Ruin & Irrigation Sites NHL
- Pueblo Grande Ruin