The Department of Education of Puerto Rico (Spanish: Departamento de Educación de Puerto Rico) is the executive department of the government of Puerto Rico responsible of managing state-operated schools in Puerto Rico as well as its education system and curricula. The department is the equivalent of a United States state department of education and only one of two in the United States composed of a single school district. It is also the largest agency of the executive branch of Puerto Rico with an annual budget of more than $3.5 billion USD and over 72,000 staff—including more than 41,000 teachers. The department is also the third largest school district in the United States by enrollment with over 473,000 students and over 1,500 schools.
The department was formerly known as the Department of Public Instruction of Puerto Rico (Spanish: Departamento de Instrucción Pública de Puerto Rico).
The department requires all students to wear school uniforms and only disallows them for medical exemptions.
|This section has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
- ^ "Data for the Biennial Report to Congress on Violence and Drug Use in Elementary and Secondary Schools in Puerto Rico." Puerto Rico Department of Education
- ^ ¿Cómo negociar con el Departamento de Educación de Puerto Rico? (in Spanish), Department of Education of Puerto Rico, retrieved August 5, 2013, "El Departamento de Educación es la agencia más grande de toda la Rama Ejecutiva del Gobierno del Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico. Esta agencia cuenta con alrededor de setenta y dos mil (72,000) empleados, distribuidos en 1,538 escuelas, ochenta y cuatro (84) distritos escolares, diez (10) regiones educativas y una oficina central."
- ^ Presupuesto Aprobado 2012–2013 Departamento de Educación (in Spanish), Office of Management and Budget of Puerto Rico, retrieved August 5, 2013
- ^ Sable, Jennifer; Plotts, Chris; Mitchell, Lindsey; Chen, Chen-Su (November 2010), Characteristics of the 100 Largest Public Elementary and Secondary School Districts in the United States: 2008–09, Institute of Education Sciences, retrieved August 5, 2013
- ^ Miller, Gary; Lugo, Ariel (June 2009), Guide to the Ecological Systems of Puerto Rico., International Institute of Tropical Forestry, retrieved August 4, 2013, "... making it the third largest school district in the United States."
- ^ Reglamento de Estudiantes (in Spanish), Department of Education of Puerto Rico, retrieved March 22, 2009