Pulangi IV Hydroelectric Power Plant
|Official name||Pulangi IV Hydroelectric Power Station|
|Owner(s)||National Power Corporation|
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Gravity/embankment|
|Spillway type||Tainter gate-controlled|
|Creates||Pulangi IV Reservoir (upper and lower)|
|Active capacity||67,000,000 m3 (54,318 acre·ft)|
|Catchment area||18,000 km2 (6,950 sq mi)|
|Surface area||19.85 km2 (8 sq mi)|
|Name||Pulangi IV Hydroelectric Power Plant|
|Turbines||3 x 85 MW Francis-type|
|Installed capacity||255 MW|
The Pulangi IV Hydroelectric Power Plant, also known as the Pulangi Dam, is located on the Pulangi River near Maramag in Bukidnon province on the island of Mindanao in the Philippines. It uses two reservoirs, produced by damming the Pulangi River, to supply water to a run-of-the-river hydroelectric power plant; the power plant is capable of generating 255 megawatts (342,000 hp) of power. Construction began in 1982; the first two generators became operational in December 1985, with the last generator being commissioned in 1986.
The upper (pondage) reservoir located at diverts water into a power channel which parallels the river until it reaches the lower reservoir (surge pool) at , 7.5 km (5 mi) to the south. At the lower reservoir, water is fed to each of the three 85 MW (114,000 hp) Francis turbine-generators via a penstock. The Pulangi IV power plant provides 23% of the hydroelectric power generated on Mindanao.
Since operation, the reservoirs associated with the power plant have received an estimated 1,500,000 m3 (1,216 acre·ft) of sediment annually. Of the reservoir's combined 67,000,000 m3 (54,318 acre·ft) active capacity, 23,000,000 m3 (18,646 acre·ft) has been filled with silt. The unexpected siltation threatens safe operation of the dams and power generation, in addition to drastically shortening the predicted operational lifespan of the dam. At first, the minimum and maximum water levels were raised and, in 2007, dredging work was performed around the head work of the upper reservoir's head. Selective dredging in the upper reservoir began in 2010, and continues as of 2011.
- "Power Plant Profiles". National Power Corporation. Retrieved 4 November 2011.
- Coxhead, ed. by Ian; Shively, Gerald (2005). Land use change in tropical watersheds : evidence, causes and remedies ([Online-Ausg.] ed.). Wallingford [u.a.]: CABI Pub. p. 11. ISBN 0-85199-912-3.
- "Pulangi 4 Hydroelectric Power Plant Philippines". Global Energy Observatory. Retrieved 4 November 2011.
- "Pulangi IV Hydropower Plant Reservoir Rehabilitation". 18th Conference of Electric Power Supply Industry. National Power Corporation. Retrieved 4 November 2011.
- Delgado Jr., Victor M. (August 2010). "The Effectiveness of Desilting the Pulangi IV Hydropower Plant's Reservoir". National Power Corporation. Retrieved 4 November 2011.