Pulaski County, Virginia
|Pulaski County, Virginia|
Pulaski County Courthouse
Location in the state of Virginia
Virginia's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Count Casimir Pulaski|
|• Total||330 sq mi (855 km2)|
|• Land||320 sq mi (829 km2)|
|• Water||10 sq mi (26 km2), 3.0%|
|• Density||109/sq mi (42/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 330 square miles (850 km2), of which 320 square miles (830 km2) is land and 10 square miles (26 km2) (3.0%) is water.
Pulaski County is the site of Claytor Lake State Park, which is located on Claytor Lake, a 4,500-acre (18 km2), 21-mile (34 km) long man made lake on the New River created for a hydroelectric project of Appalachian Power Company. It is named for W. Graham Claytor, Sr. (1886–1971) of Roanoke, Virginia, a vice president of Appalachian Power who supervised construction of the dam and creation of the lake.
Adjacent counties / Independent city
- Bland County, Virginia - northwest
- Giles County, Virginia - north
- Montgomery County, Virginia - northeast
- Radford, Virginia - northeast
- Floyd County, Virginia - southeast
- Carroll County, Virginia - south
- Wythe County, Virginia - southwest
National protected area
- Jefferson National Forest (part)
As of the census of 2000, there were 35,127 people, 14,643 households, and 10,147 families residing in the county. The population density was 110 people per square mile (42/km²). There were 16,325 housing units at an average density of 51 per square mile (20/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 92.60% White, 5.57% Black or African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.32% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.37% from other races, and 0.94% from two or more races. 0.96% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 14,643 households out of which 26.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.90% were married couples living together, 10.50% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.70% were non-families. 27.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.10% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.32 and the average family size was 2.80.
In the county, the population was spread out with 20.60% under the age of 18, 7.30% from 18 to 24, 29.20% from 25 to 44, 27.70% from 45 to 64, and 15.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 97.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $33,873, and the median income for a family was $42,251. Males had a median income of $30,712 versus $21,596 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,973. About 10.60% of families and 13.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.90% of those under age 18 and 11.50% of those age 65 or over.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 4, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 4, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved January 4, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 4, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 4, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Claytor Lake Online Website
- Pulaski County, Virginia official website
- Claytor Lake State Park (Virginia)
- Virginia Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries, Claytor Lake webpage
||Bland County||Giles County||Montgomery County and City of Radford|
|Wythe County||Carroll County||Floyd County|