|Single by The Black Eyed Peas|
|from the album Monkey Business|
|Released||January 17, 2006|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Length||3:35 (Single Version/Radio Edit)
3:33 (Album Version)
|Writer(s)||William Adams, Allan Pineda, Stacy Ferguson, Nicholas Roubanis, Thomas Van Musser|
|The Black Eyed Peas singles chronology|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)|
"Pump It" is a 2006 song by The Black Eyed Peas. It was released as the fourth single from The Black Eyed Peas' 2005 album Monkey Business. This song was also remixed for the deluxe edition of the group's fifth studio album The E.N.D. as "Pump It Harder". "Pump It" heavily incorporates music from Dick Dale's 1962 surf version of the song "Misirlou" (known by many for being featured in the 1994 Quentin Tarantino film Pulp Fiction). "Misirlou" is a popular folk song of Greek (Asia Minor) origin dating back to 1927, the arrangement of which is credited to Nicholas Roubanis for his 1941 released jazz version.
"I was in Brazil doing some CD," The Black Eyed Peas member will.i.am recalls. "I came across this compilation [disk] and I thought it was one thing but it turned out to be something else. The Dick Dale song Miserlou was on it. At first, I was angry this isn't what I wanted to buy," he laughs. "But then, really, that song is hot. I said, 'We should do a song like this.' I jump-started the computer and made some beats on the train. Then we had to fly to Tokyo and I tightened up the beat on the plane. Then I recorded vocals in this park in Tokyo, and that's how we recorded the song 'Pump It'."
The music video for "Pump It" features The Black Eyed Peas competing and fighting with a gang of unidentified people in a basement.
Before the single was officially released, the song peaked at number 82 on the Billboard Hot 100 in June 2005. This was mainly based on digital download strength due to exposure in the Best Buy ads. After its official airplay release, it peaked at number 18 in March 2006. The single was released to stores in the United States on February 14, 2006 and in the United Kingdom on March 13, 2006.
This single, compared to other Monkey Business singles performance on US charts, is the lowest ranking single from the album.
The song reached higher spots on charts in other countries. In Australia, the song peaked at number 6. The song was also popular in the United Kingdom, becoming their 8th hit single there. "Pump It" peaked at number 3 on the UK Singles Chart, matching the chart success of previous single "My Humps". It was the first song ever to make the UK Top 40 on sales of downloads alone.
- "Pump It" - 3:35
- "Pump It" (Album Version) - 3:33
- "Pump It" (Radio Edit) - 3:35
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||14|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||1|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||11|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||47|
|Czech Republic (Rádio Top 100)||2|
|Denmark Airplay (Tracklisten)||20|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||12|
|Hungary (Rádiós Top 40)||7|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||17|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||2|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||8|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||3|
|US Billboard Hot 100||18|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||11|
|US Rhythmic (Billboard)||35|
|United Kingdom||200,000+ |
- http://umusic.ca/blackeyedpeas/ umusic.ca[dead link]
- "Australian-charts.com – The Black Eyed Peas – Pump It". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "The Black Eyed Peas – Pump It – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – The Black Eyed Peas – Pump It" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – The Black Eyed Peas – Pump It" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Illegal name entered Black Eyed Peas/Black+Eyed+Peas/chart?f=793 Black Eyed Peas Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Black Eyed Peas.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200626 into search.
- "The Black Eyed Peas – Pump It Hitlisten.nu" (in Danish). Tracklisten.
- "The Black Eyed Peas: Pump It" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – The Black Eyed Peas – Pump It" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Italiancharts.com – The Black Eyed Peas – Pump It". Top Digital Download.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – The Black Eyed Peas – Pump It" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – The Black Eyed Peas – Pump It". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swedishcharts.com – The Black Eyed Peas – Pump It". Singles Top 60.
- "The Black Eyed Peas – Pump It – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Black Eyed Peas" UK Singles Chart.
- "Illegal name entered Black Eyed Peas/Black+Eyed+Peas/chart?f=379 Black Eyed Peas Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Black Eyed Peas.
- "Illegal name entered Black Eyed Peas/Black+Eyed+Peas/chart?f=381 Black Eyed Peas Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Black Eyed Peas.
- "Illegal name entered Black Eyed Peas/Black+Eyed+Peas/chart?f=378 Black Eyed Peas Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Rhythmic Songs for Black Eyed Peas.
"Beep" by The Pussycat Dolls featuring will.i.am
|Belgian Ultratop Singles Chart number-one single
April 29, 2006
"Hips Don't Lie" by Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean