Puncha (community development block)
পুঞ্চা সমষ্টি উন্নয়ন ব্লক
|community development block|
|• Total||330 km2 (130 sq mi)|
|• Density||330/km2 (850/sq mi)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Purulia|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Manbazar|
Puncha (community development block) is an administrative division in Purulia Sadar East subdivision of Purulia district in the Indian state of West Bengal. Puncha and Kenda police stations serve this block. Headquarters of this block is at Puncha.
Jaina Bhagavati-Sutra of 5th century AD mentions that Purulia was one of the sixteen mahajanapadas and was a part of the kingdom known as Vajra-bhumi in ancient times. In 1833, Manbhum district was carved out of Jungle Mahals district, with headquarters at Manbazar. In 1838, the headquarters was transferred to Purulia. In 1956, Manbhum district was partitioned between Bihar and West Bengal under the States Reorganization Act and the Bihar and West Bengal (Transfer of Territories) Act 1956.
Puncha is located at.
As per 2001 census, Puncha block had a total population of 108,045, out of which 54,636 were males and 53,409 were females. Puncha block registered a population growth of 12.09 per cent during the 1991-2001 decade. Decadal growth for Purulia district was 13.96 per cent. Decadal growth in West Bengal was 17.84 per cent.
As per 2001 census, Puncha block had a total literacy of 57.34 per cent for the 6+ age group. While male literacy was 75.25 per cent female literacy was 39.06 per cent. Purulia district had a total literacy of 55.57 per cent, male literacy being 73.72 per cent and female literacy being 36.50 per cent.
Higher Secondary schools in the area are - Napara High School, Laulara R.C.Academy, and Kuruktopa High School.
- "Contact details of Block Development Officers". Purulia district. West Bengal Government. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "Provisional population totals, West Bengal, Table 4, Purulia District". Census of India 2001. Census Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "Historical background". Purulia District. Archived from the original on 2008-01-03. Retrieved 2008-03-02.
- Houlton, Sir John, Bihar, the Heart of India, 1949, p. 170, Orient Longmans Ltd.
- "Annexure A to G.O No.121(Sanction)-RD/CCA/BRGF/1C-5/08". Allotment under BRGF Fund 1st Instalment 2010-11 – Purulia District. Government of West Bengal - Department of Panchayats & Rural Development. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "Provisional Population Totals, West Bengal. Table 4". Census of India 2001. Census Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "TRU for all Districts (SC & ST and Total)". Census 2001. Census Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-03-02.
- "Provisional population totals, West Bengal, Table 5, Purulia District". Census of India 2001. Census Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "Major Colleges in West Bengal". Purulia. 123careers.net. Retrieved 2008-03-02.
- "List of Institutions with Subjects Taught". Purulia. West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Educarion. Retrieved 2008-03-02.