Pune Bus Rapid Transit
Pune BRTS was the first Bus rapid System in India
|Transit type||Rapid transit|
|Number of lines||2|
|Operator(s)||Pune Mahanagar Parivahan Mahamandal Limited
Government of Maharashtra
Pune Municipal Corporation
|System length||16.5 kilometres (10.3 mi)|
Pune was the first city in India to experiment with a Bus Rapid Transit system. PMPML started plying pilot routes in December 2006. The project consists of 16.5 kilometres (10.3 mi) of bus lanes along the Pune Satara Road using airconditioned, low-floor more than 500 Volvo B7RLE buses. Most of these buses are not in service currently, and the bus lanes serve as major traffic impediments. The project is an exemplary failure and serves as a model of avoidable practices. The funding for the project came from the Government of India under the Jawaharlala Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission. Total of 112 kilometres (70 mi) route was proposed for Pune BRTS. The project has justifiably failed to grab eyeballs of citizens and officials are visiting Ahmedabad BRTS Project which is extremely popular as well as successful.
- Katraj - Swargate - Hadapsar. (Via Pune-Satara road, Shankarsheth road via Swargate Bus Station - 16.5 km)
Now Vishrantwadi-Bombay sappers-yerwada-Waholi Jakat Naka and Sadalbaba Jn to Patil Estate toTal 16 Km
- Katraj - Kalewadi Phata corridor.
- Kothrud - Vishrantwadi corridor.
- Dhayari - Hadapsar Gadital corridor.
- Warje - Kharadi corridor. PMC has taken a lot of efforts to make this one a successful project. The pattern of the bus stops is different than Satara road bus stops. This pattern of bus stops does not create sharp turns on the other lanes like the Satara road BRTS does.
Other Proposed Roads
- Baner Road.
- [[Roads in Pune#Fergusson College ("FC") Road [Official name Gokhale Road]|F. C. Road]].
- J. M. Road.
- Karve Road.
- Paud Road.
- Sinhgad Road.
- University Road.
- Samgamwadi Road.
- Dhanori Road.
- Nehru Road.
- Mundhwa Bypass.
- Nagar Road.
- Airport Road.
- Yerawada - Vishrantwadi Road.
- Solapur Road.
- Ramwadi - Viman Nagar Road.
- Vishrantwadi - Viman Nagar Road.
- Vishrantwadi - Dhanori Road.
- Deccan College - Viman Nagar Road.
In 2012, the PMC started to make changes on the road so that the management of traffic would become easier. A 1.5km long flyover is being constructed from Padmavati to Bhartividyapeeth, which will have 4 lanes, plus the existing 4 lanes. The legs of the flyover are constructed on the BRTS route. The BRTS has been cancelled. Apart from the flyover, there are 2 subways being constructed at Bibwewadi chowk and Kaka Halwai chowk for the pedestrians to cross. These three constructions will reduce a lot of time to travel through this route.
- Pune Monorail
- Pune Metro
- Pune Metropolitan Area
- Pune Railway Station
- Lohegaon Airfield
- List of bus rapid transit systems
- Ahmedabad BRTS
- Jaipur BRTS
- Delhi BRTS
- BRTS pilot to run on Sunday[dead link]
- Pune becomes first city in India to have BRT system[dead link]
- From the bus to tickets, BRT's first run finds many fans[dead link]
- On day three, a smooth ride for BRTS[dead link]
- BRTS work on other roads begins[dead link]
- Pune's BRT stumbles at the start
- Link to Bus Rapid Transit Newsletter for Jan 2007