|Elevation||800 m (2,600 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Punganur is located at  It has an average elevation of 800 meters (2600 feet).Punganur is an important junction for the arterial roads to Madanapalle ( and onwards to Anantapur ), Malur ( and onwards to Kolar and Bangalore), Chittoor ( and onwards to Tirupati & Katpadi ), and also to Kuppam ( and onwards to Dharmapuri, Salem). It is probably one of the oldest towns in this region and records indicate that this region indulged in trading with the Romans..
As of 2011[update] India census, Punganur had a population of 700,00. Males constitute 49% of the population and females 51%. Punganur has an average literacy rate of 69%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 71%, and female literacy is 56%. In Punganur, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Punganur is an assembly constituency in Andhra Pradesh.
- 1952 - B. Krishnamurthy rao (Indian National Congress)
- 1955 - Y.B.V. Chikarayalu (Independent)
- 1962 - V. Ramaswami Reddy (Indian National Congress)
- 1967 - V. Ramaswami reddy (Indian National Congress)
- 1970 - B.Rani Sundarmani (Indian National Congress)
- 1972 - B. Rani Sundarmani (Indian National Congress)
- 1978 - K.V. Pati (Indian National Congress I)
- 1983 - Baggidigopal (Telugu Desam)
- 1985 - N. Ramakrishna Reddy (Telugu Desam)
- 1989 - N. Ramakrishna reddy (Telugu Desam)
- 1994 - N. Ramakrishna reddy (Telugu Desam)
- 1996 - N. Amaranatha Reddy (Telugu Desam)
- 1999 - Sridhar Reddy (Indian National Congress)
- 2004 - N. Amaranatha Reddy (Telugu Desam)
- 2009 - P. Ramachandra Reddy (Indian National Congress)
== References ==
- Falling Rain Genomics.Punganuru
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
Pundeswara temple in mugavadi near to punanur