Punjab Bar Council
||It has been suggested that Members of Punjab Bar Council be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since October 2012.|
|Punjab Bar Council|
|Formation||January 1, 1974|
|Region served||Punjab, Pakistan|
The Punjab Bar Council (Urdu: پنجاب بار کونسل) is a supreme statutory & Deliberative assembly of lawyers in Punjab for safeguarding the rights, interests and privileges of practicing lawyers, regulating their conduct and helping in the administration of justice and it is also 1st biggest Bar Council of Pakistan in-respect of its licensees. More than 70,000 advocates are Licensee of Punjab Bar Council. It is the assembly responsible for regulating the practice of advocates in Punjab, Pakistan. All Bar associations of Punjab including District Bar Associations and High Court Bar Associations works under the Jurisdiction of Punjab Bar Council. The Punjab Bar Council, based in Lahore, Pakistan, came into being as a result of the promulgation of the Legal Practitioners and Bar Councils Act, 1973 (Act XXXV of 1973). The Council commenced functioning with effect from 1 January 1974.
The Punjab Bar Council consists of Chairman Executive Committee & Vice Chairman, both elected by Members of Punjab Bar Council each Year and Members of Punjab Bar Council elected by the advocates from different constituencies across the Punjab Province. Members serve a term of five years, beginning on January 1, with elections held each November to fill seats of those whose terms will expire in the following January. The Advocate General of the Punjab, acts as ex officio Chairman of Punjab Bar Council.
- Chairman Executive, Punjab Bar Council: The Chairman of Executive Committee is Chief Executive of Bar Council and is elected by the members of the Council in each year. Chairman Executive Committee has full authority to decide matters of Bar Council in every aspect. under the Punjab Legal Practitioners and Bar Councils Rules, 1974, the Chairman of Executive Committee exercise the powers (a) to implement the decisions of Bar Council (b) to advise the Bar Council in all matters relating to its functions (c) to supervise and deal with the all matters regarding administration of the Bar Council (d) to constitute sub-committee and to entrust such of its functions thereto as may be necessary (e) to institute and defend other proceedings on the behalf of Bar Council (f) to perform such functions as the Bar Council may entrust to it.
- Vice Chairman, Punjab Bar Council: Vice Chairman is presiding officer of Bar Council and Elected by the members of the Council in January each year. under the Punjab Legal Practitioners and Bar Councils Rules 1974, Vice Chairman is ex officio Member of each Committee of Bar Council.
- Members of Punjab Bar Council are Elected after 4 years for a duration of 5 years Across the Punjab province by Approximately 70,000 advocates of Punjab. There are total 75 seats of Members of Punjab Bar Council across Punjab which elects the Chairman Executive Committee and Vice-Chairman of Council Each Year in end of January.
- Secretary: A full-time employee, responsible to perform duties enshrined under the Legal Practitioners and Bar Councils Act, 1973, and the Punjab Legal Practitioners & Bar Council Rules, 1974 and to deal with the administrative affairs. Subject to the provisions of the act and the rules the secretary shall, under the supervisory control of the Executive Committee. of Punjab Bar Council.
The main function of the Punjab Bar Council is to regulate the practice of advocates within the province. It is charged with promulgating rules for admission to practice, and with monitoring individual advocates for adherence to such rules. Only those advocates recognized by the Bar Council may represent clients in the all Branches of Lahore High Court, District Courts and Session Courts in Punjab, Pakistan.
Current Elect-orals and Officer
- Chairman Executive : Rana Muhammad Asif Saeed
- Vice Chairman: Malik Ghulam Abbas Nissoana
- Secretary : Muhammad Akbar Bhatti
- Supreme Court Bar Association of Pakistan
- Pakistan Bar Council
- Lahore High Court Bar Association
- Asrar-ul-Haq Mian