Location of Punkaharju in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Sami Sulkko|
|• Total||748.12 km2 (288.85 sq mi)|
|• Land||471.26 km2 (181.95 sq mi)|
|• Water||276.86 km2 (106.90 sq mi)|
|Area rank||164th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||226th largest in Finland|
|• Density||7.87/km2 (20.4/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.1% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||12.8%|
|• 15 to 64||61.7%|
|• 65 or older||25.5%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||20.25%|
It is located in the province of Eastern Finland and is part of the Southern Savonia region. The municipality has a population of 3,709 (31 January 2014) and covers an area of 748.12 square kilometres (288.85 sq mi) of which 276.86 km2 (106.90 sq mi) is water. The population density is 7.87 inhabitants per square kilometre (20.4 /sq mi). The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Retretti Art Museum is located at Punkaharju, as well as the Finnish Forest Museum Lusto and the Finnish forest research institute, which hosts a research forest park open for visitors. In the park you can find some of the tallest trees in the whole Finland, for example pines in the height of 40 metres (130 ft). Punkaharju ridge is a famous national landscape protected by a national reserve.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 31.1.2014" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Punkaharju at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Punkaharju – Official site (Finnish)
|This Eastern Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|