Punta Cana International Airport
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2009)|
|Punta Cana International Airport
Aeropuerto Internacional Punta Cana
Punta Cana International Airport terminal building
|IATA: PUJ – ICAO: MDPC|
|Operator||Punta Cana Resort and Club/Grupo PuntaCana|
|Serves||Punta Cana, Higuey|
|Location||Punta Cana in La Altagracia Province, Dominican Republic|
|Elevation AMSL||40 ft / 12.2 m|
|Website||Punta Cana International Airport|
Punta Cana International Airport (IATA: PUJ, ICAO: MDPC) is a privately owned commercial airport in Punta Cana, eastern Dominican Republic. The airport is built in a traditional Dominican style with open-air terminals with their roofs covered in palm fronds. Grupo PuntaCana built the Punta Cana International Airport in 1984. A number of scheduled and charter airlines fly to Punta Cana. Currently, there are more than 5.1 million annual passenger movements in almost 60,000 commercial aircraft operations. The operators of the airport, Grupo Punta Cana - owners of Puntacana Resort and Club, expanded the facility in November 2011 with a new runway and Air Traffic Control tower designed to support the robust growth of travel to the region.
Terminals and destinations
The airport has three terminals: Terminal 1 is used for international flights, whilst Terminal 3 is used for domestic flights and private jets. In February 2009, the new Terminal 2 was opened. Punta Cana International Airport currently serves as a destination for 53 different airlines. New terminal is being built to hold larger aircraft like the Airbus A380 along with 8 airbridges, two being for the A380. The new terminal is to be constructed by 2015. Transaero is to begin service with their A380 once delivered by Airbus.
The following airlines offer scheduled passenger service:
Traffic and growth
Punta Cana's airport is the leading point of entry in number of arriving passengers in the Dominican Republic. It is also the fastest growing airport with almost a 20% increase in traffic yearly, which indicates that in 4 years the aircraft movements will double. At the moment the airport counts on two international terminals, one VIP, domestics and an FBO, a main incline with 12 positions.
|1||Toronto (YYZ)||315,533||Air Canada, Air Transat, CanJet, Sunwing, Westjet|
|2||Paris (CDG)||312,129||Air France, XL Airways|
|3||Atlanta (ATL)||294,513||Delta, AirTran|
|4||Miami (MIA)||251, 183||American Airlines|
|5||Panama City (PTY)||249, 094||Copa, AeroRepublica|
|6||Montreal (YUL)||230,563||Air Canada, Air Transat, CanJet, Sunwing|
|7||Charlotte (CLT)||198,770||US Airways|
|8||New York (JFK)||195,820||JetBlue, Delta|
Punta Cana's Airport operators completed an ambitious airport expansion project in November 2011. The airport includes a new runway, a control tower equipped with the most modern radio and air traffic control equipment in the Caribbean. Additionally, there is a new Terminal Approach Radar Control facility and a new Automated Weather Observation Station (AWOS). This new facility also provides a back-up to the National Radar System located in Santo Domingo.
Accidents and incidents
On October 13, 2014, a Jetstream Bae 32 aircraft belonging to Air Century Airlines caught fire on an engine while landing after a charter flight from Luis Munoz Marin International Airport in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The airplane crew declared an emergency and landed the aircraft at 8:45 PM local time, after a 49 minute flight, but the plane was destroyed in a subsequent fire. There were no injuries among the 13 passengers and two crew members on the flight.
- "– Airport Information". Puntacanainternationalairport.com.
- Aerolineas Argentinas launches new routes in the Caribbean
- "Route Map". Flyairantilles.com. 31 August 2013.
- "Flight schedule". "Dniproavia" airlines. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Evelop Air destinations at official website". Evelopair.com.
- "JetBlue Adds Nonstops to the Caribbean From Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood – Yahoo Finance". Finance.yahoo.com. 29 October 2013.
- Sun Country Airlines. Flight Schedule, suncountry.com, retrieved 2011-May-17
- "First Choice | Flights | Book flights online with First Choice | Timetable". Flights.firstchoice.co.uk.
- "Punta Cana All-Inclusive Vacation Package Deals from Nashville | BNA to PUJ – All Inclusive Vacation Packages by Vacation Express". Vacationexpress.com.
- "Main information | WINDROSE". Windrose.aero. 28 April 2014.
- Aéroport de Nantes Atlantique- Punta Cana au départ de Nantes Atlantique[dead link]
- Aéroport Toulouse- Flight Toulouse/Punta Cana (Dominican Republic)[dead link]
- "IDAC traffic Statistics". Idac.gob.do.
- Busiest Dominican airport to have U.S. Customs, Immigration station, Nuevo Diario reports from the Dominican Times retrieved 25 July 2008
Media related to Punta Cana International Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Punta Cana International Airport – Official website
- Airport information for MDPC at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- airport-technology.com provides key data and information