Punta Cana International Airport
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2009)|
|Punta Cana International Airport
Aeropuerto Internacional Punta Cana
|IATA: PUJ – ICAO: MDPC|
|Operator||Punta Cana Resort and Club/Grupo PuntaCana|
|Serves||Punta Cana, Higuey|
|Location||Punta Cana in La Altagracia Province, Dominican Republic|
|Elevation AMSL||40 ft / 12.2 m|
|Source: Banco Central República Dominicana
1 Runway 08/26 All traffic.
2 Runway 09/27 Light traffic only.
Punta Cana International Airport (IATA: PUJ, ICAO: MDPC) is a privately owned commercial airport in Punta Cana, eastern Dominican Republic. The airport is built in a traditional Dominican style with open-air terminals with their roofs covered in palm fronds. Grupo PuntaCana built the Punta Cana International Airport in 1984. A number of scheduled and charter airlines fly to Punta Cana. Currently, there are more than 4.5 million annual passenger movements in more than 15,000 commercial aircraft operations. The operators of the airport, Grupo Punta Cana, expanded the facility in November 2011 with a new runway and Air Traffic Control tower designed to support the robust growth of travel to the region.
Terminals, airlines and destinations
The airport has three terminals: Terminal 1 is used for international flights, whilst Terminal 3 is used for domestic flights and private jets. In February 2009, the new Terminal 2 was opened. Punta Cana International Airport currently serves as a destination for 53 different airlines.
The following airlines offer scheduled passenger service:
Traffic and growth
Punta Cana's airport is the leading point of entry in number of arriving passengers in the Dominican Republic. It is also the fastest growing airport with almost a 20% increase in traffic yearly, which indicates that in 4 years the aircraft movements will double. At the moment the airport counts on two international terminals, one VIP, domestics and an FBO, a main incline with 12 positions.
In the Caribbean, Punta Cana International Airport is the third busiest airport, surpassed only by Cancun International Airport, in Cancun, Mexico, and by Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport, in San Juan, Puerto Rico, which are the first and the second busiest airports in the region, respectively.
|1||Toronto (YYZ)||315,533||Air Canada, Air Transat, Sunwing, Westjet|
|2||Paris (CDG)||312,129||Air France, XL Airways|
|3||Miami (MIA)||251,183||American, LAN|
|4||Panama City (PTY)||249,094||Copa, AeroRepublica|
|5||Montreal (YUL)||230,563||Air Canada, Air Transat, Sunwing, Westjet|
|6||Charlotte (CLT)||198,770||US Airways|
|7||New York (JFK)||195,820||American, Delta, JetBlue|
|9||Atlanta (ATL)||168,785||AirTran, Delta|
Punta Cana's Airport operators completed an ambitious airport expansion project in November 2011. The airport includes a new runway, a control tower equipped with the most modern radio and air traffic control equipment in the Caribbean. Additionally, there is a new Terminal Approach Radar Control (TRACON) facility and a new Automated Weather Observation Station (AWOS). This new facility also provides a back-up to the National Radar System located in Santo Domingo.
- Departamento Aeroportuario – 2008 passenger statistics
- "Airline Routes - February 18, 2013". Air Transport World. February 18, 2014. Archived February 19, 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Evelop Air destinations at official website
- Sun Country Airlines. Flight Schedule, suncountry.com, retrieved 2011-May-17
- Aéroport de Bordeaux – Destinations/Punta Cana
- Aéroport de Nantes Atlantique- Punta Cana au départ de Nantes Atlantique
- Aéroport Toulouse- Flight Toulouse/Punta Cana (Dominican Republic)
- IDAC traffic Statistics
- Busiest Dominican airport to have U.S. Customs, Immigration station, Nuevo Diario reports from the Dominican Times retrieved 25 July 2008
Media related to Punta Cana International Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Dominican Airports Flydominicanrepublic.com
- Punta Cana International Airport – Official website
- Airport information for MDPC at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- airport-technology.com provides key data and information