Pure Michigan began as an advertising campaign which was launched in 2006 by the state of Michigan featuring the voice of actor & comedian Tim Allen. The Pure Michigan campaign, which aims to market the state of Michigan as a travel and tourism destination, received state and international attention beginning in 2008 when Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm approved $45 million in additional funding for the Pure Michigan campaign - an unprecedented tourism budget for the state, allowing the Pure Michigan campaign to be broadcast on a national level beginning in March 2009
Pure Michigan also refers to the brand created by Travel Michigan and embodied by the organization's website. The site was relaunched in March 2008 to support the Pure Michigan brand. Travel Michigan is itself a division of The Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC), a state-funded economic development corporation founded in 1999 to support the economic development of Michigan.
- Borgstrom, Kirsten (May 5, 2008). "Pure Michigan Summer Advertising Campaign Launches Today" (Press release). Travel Michigan. Retrieved May 9, 2009.
- Staff. "Travel Marketing: Pure Michigan". Michigan Economic Development Corporation. Retrieved November 12, 2012.
- Holcomb, Anne (May 12, 2008). "'Pure Michigan' campaign aims to draw out of state and Canadian travelers". Kalamazoo Gazette. Retrieved May 9, 2009.
- Gustafson, Sven (July 3, 2008). "Award-winning 'Pure Michigan' travel ads pay off". Business Review (Booth Newspapers ). Retrieved May 9, 2009.
- "Michigan to launch national and Canadian ad campaign in face of tourism decline". USA Today. Associated Press. March 23, 2009. Retrieved May 9, 2009.
- Creager, Ellen (March 24, 2009). "Pure Michigan brings home the bacon: But will it halt downward slide in Michigan tourism?". Detroit Free Press.
- Youssef, Jennifer (May 8, 2009). "Ad blitz revs up virtual visits to Michigan". The Detroit News. Retrieved May 9, 2009.
- Boyd, Liz (April 8, 2008). "Governor Granholm Signs Michigan Promotion Bills, Announces Historic Investment in Marketing Michigan" (Press release). Office of the Governor. Archived from the original on April 22, 2008. Retrieved May 9, 2009.
- Borgstrom, Kirsten (March 18, 2008). "New Michigan Tourism Web Site Launched" (Press release). Travel Michigan. Retrieved May 9, 2009.
- Staff. "About Michigan Economic Development Corporation". Michigan Economic Development Corporation. Retrieved November 12, 2012.