Pure red cell aplasia (PRCA) or erythroblastopenia refers to a type of anemia affecting the precursors to red blood cells but not to white blood cells. In PRCA, the bone marrow ceases to produce red blood cells. The condition has been first described by Paul Kaznelson in 1922.
- Idiopathic. Many cases of PRCA are considered idiopathic in that there is no discernible cause detected.
PRCA is considered an autoimmune disease as it will respond to immunosuppressant treatment such as cyclosporine in many patients, though this approach is not without risk.
It has also been shown to respond to treatments with Rituxan and Tacrolimus.
- ^ Kaznelson, P (1922). "Zur Entstehung der Blutplättchen". Verh Dtsch Ges Inn Med. 34: 557–8.
- ^ Hirokawa M, Sawada K, Fujishima N et al. (January 2008). "Long-term response and outcome following immunosuppressive therapy in thymoma-associated pure red cell aplasia: a nationwide cohort study in Japan by the PRCA collaborative study group". Haematologica 93 (1): 27–33. doi:10.3324/haematol.11655. PMID 18166782.
- ^ Geetha D, Zachary JB, Baldado HM, Kronz JD, Kraus ES (December 2000). "Pure red cell aplasia caused by Parvovirus B19 infection in solid organ transplant recipients: a case report and review of literature". Clin Transplant 14 (6): 586–91. doi:10.1034/j.1399-0012.2000.140612.x. PMID 11127313.
- ^ Kwong YL, Wong KF (1998). "Association of pure red cell aplasia with T large granular lymphocyte leukaemia". J. Clin. Pathol. 51 (9): 672–5. doi:10.1136/jcp.51.9.672. PMC 500904. PMID 9930071.
- ^ Miller, AC; Rashid, RM (2008). "Three episodes of acquired pure red cell aplasia restricted to pregnancy.". Journal of perinatal medicine 36 (3): 270–1. doi:10.1515/JPM.2008.041. PMID 18576941.
- ^ Petrochko C (2009). "FDA Strengthens Warning on Transplant Drug." Medpage Today. 14 August 2009. Accessed on 19 August 2009.
- ^ Online 'Mendelian Inheritance in Man' (OMIM) 105650
- ^ Sawada K, Hirokawa M, Fujishima N et al. (August 2007). "Long-term outcome of patients with acquired primary idiopathic pure red cell aplasia receiving cyclosporine A. A nationwide cohort study in Japan for the PRCA Collaborative Study Group". Haematologica 92 (8): 1021–8. doi:10.3324/haematol.11192. PMID 17640861.
- ^ Sawada K, Fujishima N, Hirokawa M (August 2008). "Acquired pure red cell aplasia: updated review of treatment". Br. J. Haematol. 142 (4): 505–14. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2141.2008.07216.x. PMC 2592349. PMID 18510682.