|Studio album by Edge of Sanity|
|Released||1 October 1994|
|Recorded||July 1994, Unisound Studios, Örebro, Sweden|
|Genre||Progressive death metal
Melodic death metal
52:06 (with bonus tracks)
Edge of Sanity
|Edge of Sanity chronology|
Purgatory Afterglow is the fourth full-length studio album by Swedish death metal band Edge of Sanity. The album was recorded by Dan Swanö in Unisound Studios, Örebro, Sweden, in July 1994 and released in 1994 by Black Mark Productions. Purgatory Afterglow is dedicated to the loving memory of Kurt Cobain. There are two different versions to the disc; the mirror-like disc with black letters and the black disc with gold letters. The Japanese release features the tracks "Until Eternity Ends" and "Eternal Eclipse" from the Until Eternity Ends EP. One of the two only Edge of Sanity videos was made for the song "Black Tears" and it can be viewed here (the other video was done for "Uncontrol Me" from the Cryptic album). This song was covered by the bands Eternal Tears of Sorrow, on their album Chaotic Beauty, and Heaven Shall Burn, on their album Iconoclast (Part 1: The Final Resistance).
All lyrics written by Dan Swanö, unless otherwise mentioned, all music composed by Dan Swanö, unless otherwise mentioned.
|2.||"Of Darksome Origin"||Dan Swanö, Andreas "Dread" Axelsson||Swanö, Dread||5:02|
|7.||"Velvet Dreams"||Dread||Dread, Swanö||7:11|
|9.||"The Sinner and the Sadness"||3:07|
|10.||"Song of Sirens"||Sami Nerberg, Dread||Swanö, Dread, Nerberg||2:33|
|11.||"Until Eternity Ends" (Japanese bonus track)||4:02|
|12.||"Eternal Eclipse" (Japanese bonus track)||2:53|
- Edge of Sanity
- Dan Swanö – voices, keyboards (1, 5), guitars (lead on tracks 3, 4 and 5; acoustic guitar on track 5; harmony guitars on tracks 6 and 9), intro (4)
- Anders Lindberg – bass
- Benny Larsson – drums
- Andreas Axelsson – guitars (second and fourth guitar leads on track 8; harmony guitar on track 7), backing vocals (2, 7), vocals (10)
- Sami Nerberg – guitars (first and third guitar leads on track 8), vocals (10)
- Dan Swanö – engineering
- Necrolord – cover art
- Peter in de Betou – mastering
- Börje Forsberg – executive producer
- Åsa Jonsén – photography
- "Edge of Sanity - Purgatory Afterglow - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives". The Metal Archives. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Purgatory Afterglow - Edge of Sanity | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- Vampire Magazine review[dead link]