The Pushcart Prize is an American literary prize by Pushcart Press that honors the best "poetry, short fiction, essays or literary whatnot" published in the small presses over the previous year. Magazine and small book press editors are invited to nominate up to six works they have featured. Anthologies of the selected works have been published annually since 1976.
The founding editors are Anaïs Nin, Buckminster Fuller, Charles Newman, Daniel Halpern, Gordon Lish, Harry Smith, Hugh Fox, Ishmael Reed, Joyce Carol Oates, Len Fulton, Leonard Randolph, Leslie Fiedler, Nona Balakian, Paul Bowles, Paul Engle, Ralph Ellison, Reynolds Price, Rhoda Schwartz, Richard Morris, Ted Wilentz, Tom Montag, and William Phillips[disambiguation needed].
Among the writers who received early recognition in Pushcart Prize anthologies were: Kathy Acker, Steven Barthelme, Rick Bass, Charles Baxter, Bruce Boston, Raymond Carver, Joshua Clover, Junot Diaz, Andre Dubus, William H. Gass, Seán Mac Falls, William Monahan, Paul Muldoon, Joyce Carol Oates, Tim O'Brien, Lance Olsen, Peter Orner, Kevin Prufer, Kay Ryan, Mona Simpson, Ana Menéndez, and Wells Tower.
Winners by year
- 2014 Pushcart XXXVIII
- 2013 Pushcart XXXVII
- 2012 Pushcart XXXVI
- 2011 Pushcart XXXV
- Mary Beth Hughes for "Double Happiness" in A Public Space
- Elliott Holt for "Fem Care" in The Kenyon Review
- Cheryl Strayed for "Munro Country" in The Missouri Review
- Alan Shapiro's "Indoor Municipal Pool" in the New Ohio Review
- Sarah Einstein for "Mot" in Ninth Letter
- Martin Moran for "Analphabet"
- Brigit Pegeen Kelly for "Rome"
- L. S. Asekoff for "Hither & Yon" in Ploughshares 
- 2010 Pushcart XXXIV
- 2009 Pushcart XXXIII
- 2008 Pushcart XXXII 
- 2007 Pushcart XXXI
- 2006 Pushcart XXX
- 2005 Pushcart XXIX
- 2004 Pushcart XXVIII
- 2003 Pushcart XXVII 
- 2002 Pushcart XXVI
- 2001 Pushcart XXV
- 1999 Pushcart XXIV
- 1995 Pushcart XX
- Nora Okja Keller for short story Mother-Tongue, which became the second Chapter of Comfort Woman.
- 1986 Pushcart X
- 1976 Pushcart I
- Pushcart Prize website
- Pushcart Prize website Nomination Process for the Pushcart Prize
- "UI PROFESSOR HONORED WITH PUSHCART PRIZE". The Spokesman Review. Retrieved 2011-03-04.
- Mari, Francesca (2011-01-07). "Anthology Review: 'The Pushcart Prize XXXIII'". The San Francisco Chronicle.
- Los Angeles Times, May 12, 2010, by Carolyn Kellogg Some of the Pushcart Winners for 2011
- Henderson, Bill (Ed.) (2008). Pushcart Prize XXXII: Best of the Small Presses. New York: W. W. Norton & Co. ISBN 978-1-888889-48-2
- Ward, BJ. "Roy Orbinson's Last Three Notes". Poem. Painted Bride Quarterly. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- Pushcart 2003 Anthology Review
- Henderson, Bill (Ed.) (1986). The Pushcart Prize X: Best of the Small Presses. Penguin Books. ISBN 978-0-14-008008-7.
- Henderson, Bill (Ed.) (1976). The Pushcart Prize: Best of the Small Presses. Harpercollins. ISBN 978-0-380-00752-3.