Put 'Em Under Pressure
"Put 'Em Under Pressure" was the official song to the Republic of Ireland national football team's 1990 FIFA World Cup campaign in Italy. It is regarded as "an all-time classic that the entire country knows every single word to, even the spoken words of wisdom from Jack Charlton, it's [sic] place in the hearts of the Irish people is assured".
Produced by U2's Larry Mullen, it featured an intro by Moya Brennan. The song was centred around a sample of the Horslips song "Dearg Doom". The title was a catchphrase of then manager Jack Charlton, whose soundbites were sampled for the verse; the chorus was a combination of the familiar football chant "Olé Olé Olé" and a reworking of "Ally's Tartan Army" (which was itself set to the tune of "God Save Ireland"), the unofficial theme tune for Scotland in the 1978 FIFA World Cup, and for 13 weeks the song was at number one in the Irish Singles Chart.
The sample referred to as being used by Horslips Doom is actually a relatively old tune traditionally associated with Aodh Ó Neill's army during the Nine Years' War and known in Ireland as "O Neill's March".
The song is regularly played in celebration at Irish homes matches. It was used as the opening theme for the compilation episode of the BBC Switch series Chartjackers. In 2011, RTÉ One aired a quiz show titled Put 'Em Under Pressure, presented by Gráinne Seoige.
The phrase Put 'Em Under Pressure is to this day used in relation to the Ireland national football team.
See also 
- "Five great Irish soccer songs". JOE. 16 November 2011. Retrieved 16 November 2011.
- O'Brien, Brendan (16 November 2011). "Here We Go Again". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 16 November 2011. "Old favourites like Put ’Em Under Pressure were pumped out over the PA system, a new generation of fans experienced their first attempt at the Mexican Wave and punters entertained themselves by floating paper aeroplanes onto the pitch. It was that kind of evening: Giddy and childish and wonderful."
- Finn, Melanie (16 November 2011). "Cheers boys". Evening Herald. Retrieved 16 November 2011. "As the fans chanted 'Keano, Keano', and 'Ole Ole Ole', the DJ blasted out famous soccer anthem Put 'em Under Pressure as the crowds in Dicey Riley's cheered on their heroes."
- Tevlin, Rory (17 November 2011). "Irish nurse sore heads after Euro qualifying party". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 17 November 2011. "Old classics such as Put ’Em Under Pressure and Give It A Lash rang out lustily.Heroes such as Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton from past campaigns also joined the party."
- Producers: Jonathan Davenport and Adam King (21 November 2009). "Compilation". Chartjackers. Series 1. Episode 11. BBC. BBC Two. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5csWCO5STI.
- Presenter: Gráinne Seoige (Fall 2011). "All episodes". Put 'Em Under Pressure. Series 1. Raidió Teilifís Éireann. RTÉ One. http://www.rte.ie/tv/putemunderpressure/.
- Kelly, Paul (11 November 2011). "Put ’em under pressure, former Latvia boss Johnson urges boys in green". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 11 November 2011.