Put Yourself in My Place (Kylie Minogue song)
|"Put Yourself in My Place"|
|Single by Kylie Minogue|
|from the album Kylie Minogue|
|Released||14 November 1994|
|Recorded||New York City|
|Length||4:54 (Album version)
4:13 (Radio mix)
|Kylie Minogue singles chronology|
"Put Yourself in My Place" is a song performed by Australian recording artist and songwriter Kylie Minogue, recorded for her self-titled fifth studio album (1994). The song was released as the album's second single on 18 November 1994 by Deconstruction. The song was written and produced by Jimmy Harry.
Commercially, the song did not achieve as much success as her previous singles, only managing to chart in Australia, Germany and the United Kingdom. The song received an accompanying music video, featuring Minogue entering a spacecraft and undressing while floating. The video received positive reviews from music critics.
The song has been featured on most of Minogue's tours, these being Intimate and Live Tour, On a Night Like This Tour, KylieFever2002 and was played last on the Showgirl: The Greatest Hits Tour. It was also performed on An Audience with Kylie Minogue 2001 TV special. The song has been featured on many of Minogue's compilations.
"Put Yourself in My Place" received positive reviews from most music critics. Jason Shawahn from About.com labelled the tracks that were featured on Ultimate Kylie from the Deconstruction era "good". Hunter Felt from PopMatters described it as a "trip-hop [song]" and said "Kylie will come off as believable."
The song did not achieve the same level of success as the lead single from Kylie Minogue, "Confide in Me". In the United Kingdom, "Put Yourself in My Place" debuted at number seventeen on the UK Singles Chart on 26 November 1994, rising to a peak of eleven the following week. Elsewhere in Europe, the track failed to chart except in Germany, where it peaked at number eighty-seven. In Australia, the single also debuted at number seventeen on the ARIA Charts on 11 December 1994. It spent eleven weeks in the top fifty and peaked at number eleven, similar to the success in the United Kingdom.
Directed by Kier McFarlane, had Minogue recreate the opening sequence of the Jane Fonda film Barbarella. In 1995 the video won the award for the "Best Australian Video" at the Australian ARIA Music Awards.
There are several different edits of the music video, some with different and more sexualised scenes than others, with Kylie showing more skin. Some also feature different edits of the actual song, for example, the album version and the radio edit.
Formats and track listings
These are the formats and track listings of major single releases of "Put Yourself in My Place".
- "Put Yourself in My Place" (short radio edit) – 3:37
- "Put Yourself in My Place" (Dan's Quiet Storm Extended Mix) – 5:48
- "Put Yourself in My Place" (Dan's Quiet Storm Club Mix) – 7:03
- "Confide in Me" (Phillip Damien Mix) – 6:25
- "Put Yourself in My Place" (radio mix) – 4:11
- "Put Yourself in My Place" (Driza-Bone Mix) – 4:50
- "Put Yourself in My Place" (All-Stars Mix) – 4:54
- "Where Is the Feeling?" (Morales Mix) – 9:55
- The United Kingdom 12" vinyl single was a limited edition release.
- Official remixes
- "Put Yourself in My Place" (Dan's Old School Mix) – 4:31
- "Put Yourself in My Place" (acoustic version) – 4:46
Minogue performed the song on the following concert tours:
- Intimate and Live Tour (acoustic version)
- On a Night Like This Tour (acoustic version)
- KylieFever2002 (sung as part of "The Crying Game Ballads Medley")
- Showgirl: The Greatest Hits Tour
The song was also performed on:
- An Audience with Kylie Minogue 2001 TV special
- "Kylie Minogue - Ultimate Kylie". About. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- "Kylie Minogue". PopMatters. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- "The Minography – Mixes". Kylie.co.uk. Retrieved 8 October 2006.
- "Put Yourself in My Place (Kylie Minogue song)". Australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- "ChartArchive - Kylie Minogue - Put Yourself In My Place". Chartstats.com. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- [dead link]