Location of Puumala in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Kari Kitunen|
|• Total||1,237.70 km2 (477.88 sq mi)|
|• Land||794.53 km2 (306.77 sq mi)|
|• Water||443.17 km2 (171.11 sq mi)|
|Area rank||91st largest in Finland|
|• Rank||268th largest in Finland|
|• Density||2.91/km2 (7.5/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.9% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||9.8%|
|• 15 to 64||61.6%|
|• 65 or older||28.6%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||21%|
It is located in the province of Eastern Finland and is part of the Southern Savonia region. The municipality has a population of 2,309 (30 November 2014) and covers an area of 1,237.70 square kilometres (477.88 sq mi) of which 443.17 km2 (171.11 sq mi) is water. The population density is 2.91 inhabitants per square kilometre (7.5/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Until the year 1995 a cable ferry connected the two sides of Puumalansalmi-strait. In 1995, a 781 metres (2,562 ft) long bridge replaced the ferry. The bridge is a very dominant structure when looking Puumala town center from a distance.
Puumala has relatively good services compared to the amount of population. In the town center is situated a post office, an Alko store, a kiosk, several supermakets and a few restaurants. The reason for the survival of these entrepreneurs is the arrival of summer inhabitants who triple the population of Puumala during the season.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 30.11.2014" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Puumala at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Puumala – Official website
|This Eastern Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|