Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary
|Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary|
|Release date(s)||Nintendo DS
|Mode(s)||Single-player, multiplayer, online multiplayer|
Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary (ぷよぷよ!! Puyopuyo 20th anniversary) is a Puyo Puyo game created by Sega and Sonic Team, released for the Nintendo DS on July 14, 2011 and for the Wii, Nintendo 3DS, and PlayStation Portable on December 15, 2011. This game honors the twentieth year of the Puyo Puyo series. The game came out four months before Sonic Generations, which is also commemorating the 20th anniversary of the Sonic games.
Players can control any of these 24 characters:
- Ringo Andou
- Maguro Sasaki
- Arle Nadja
- Schezo Wegey
- Ms. Accord
- Yu & Rei
- Onion Pixy
- Ocean Prince
- Red Amitie
- Strange Klug
- Black Sig
- Yellow Satan (Satan dressed in a Carbuncle suit)
- White Feli
- Unusual Ecolo
- 4 standard:
- 3 returning:
- Deka Puyo Rush
- Chibi Puyo Fever
- 8 new:
- Chibi Puyo Excavation
- 4 Next Puyo
- Cross Spinner
- 5 hidden:
- Non-Stop Fever
- Giant Puyo
- Ice Block
A two-on-two team play mode. The teammates share Nuisance Puyo and "lives" - when one of the team's field is full, the board is replaced with a new board with a pre-made chain and costs a life.
You get bonuses for "Extra Chains" (firing a chain during your teammate's chain) and "Synchro Chains" (firing chains of the same length (3 or longer) at the same time).
Like Puyo Puyo Fever 2 there is a shop, but instead of ineffective game play items you can spend points you get from various modes for exchange of Puyo skins, alternate character voices, and alternate character costumes.
The game also has two soundtracks. The first one is called Puyo Puyo!! Anniversary Sound Collection, which is a bonus soundtrack that is exclusive for the Wii, 3DS and PSP versions of the game. It has 27 songs from the series' 20-year history. The other is the official soundtrack by Wave Master entitled Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary Original Soundtrack, which debuted on February 4, 2012 in Japan. The soundtrack has 59 songs from the game that is composed by Hideki Abe.
- The game uses simple shading, contrast to the art style used in the Fever series.
- The light beam that travels when sending Nuisance Puyo is now thinner.
- The beam color depends on the color of puyo cleared.
- Also, the ring that appears when the beam hits the nuisance tray is also thinner.
- The character's board changes to their "ouch" picture if their screen gets flooded, or if they have a large amount of Nuisance pending.
- The background is now locked to the game mode.
- Say, if the Fever rule is selected, the background will be Primp Town School. In active mode, it will be the school in nighttime, etc.
- In Fever mode, the game board doesn't "squish" during chains anymore
- "Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary 3DS, Wii, PSP version promotion movie". Senpai Gamer. 28 September 2011. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- Official website (Japanese)