|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2008)|
|Part of a series on|
A puzzlehunt is a puzzle game where teams compete to solve a series of puzzles at a particular site, in multiple sites or via the internet. Groups of puzzles in a puzzle hunt are often connected by a metapuzzle, leading to answers which combine into a final set of solutions. Some famous annual puzzlehunts are:
- the MIT Mystery Hunt (Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA),
- the Melbourne University Mathematics & Statistics Society (MUMS) puzzlehunt (Melbourne, Australia),
- the Sydney University Maths Society (SUMS) puzzlehunt (Sydney, Australia),
- the TMOU (Brno, Czech Republic)
- the Microsoft Puzzle Hunt (Redmond, Washington, USA),
- the Miami Herald's Tropic Hunt (Miami, Florida, USA),
- the Washington Post's Post Hunt (Washington, DC, USA),
- the Maze of Games (Indianapolis, Indiana and Columbus, Ohio, USA),
- The CiSRA (Canon Information Systems Research Australia) Puzzle Competition (here).
College puzzlehunts include the aforementioned MIT Mystery Hunt as well as:
- PuzzleCrack (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA)
- College Puzzle Challenge (Multiple Locations, North America), hosted by Microsoft as a recruiting event on college campuses.
- Palantir's Puzzle Challenge, a recruiting event on multiple campuses hosted by Palantir Technologies
- Google Games, a multi-part competition that usually includes logic puzzles, coding, trivia, and building challenges that utilize materials like Legos
- Puzzle Hunt, put on every semester by a student organization called PuzzleHuntCMU at Carnegie Mellon University's Pittsburgh, PA campus
- Nova Quest, a campus-wide puzzlehunt organized by the Nova Quest student organization, taking place each spring at Villanova University
Sometimes, the prize for winning a puzzlehunt is to create the next one.
Related puzzle events
- The Game (a puzzlehunt combined with a road rally)
- Microsoft Puzzle Safari (Redmond, Washington)
- Race In The City (an Amazing Race-style event in Toronto)