Location of Pyhäjärvi in Finland
|• Town manager||Tita Rinnevaara|
|• Total||1,459.48 km2 (563.51 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,311.06 km2 (506.20 sq mi)|
|• Water||148.42 km2 (57.31 sq mi)|
|Area rank||71st largest in Finland|
|• Rank||165th largest in Finland|
|• Density||4.25/km2 (11.0/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.2% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||15%|
|• 15 to 64||60.7%|
|• 65 or older||24.3%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.75%|
Pyhäjärvi (1993–1995 Pyhäsalmi) is a town and municipality in the south of Northern Ostrobothnia region, Finland. Pyhäjärvi also borders the Northern Savonia and Central Finland regions. The town belongs to the subregion of Nivala–Haapajärvi. Its seat is in Pyhäsalmi.
As the highway 4 (E75), the highway 27 and the Ylivieska–Iisalmi railway all run through the town, Pyhäjärvi is well situated in an intersection of communication and transport services. The town has also an airfield.
The town of Pyhäjärvi, was founded in 1866, and it was then named after Lake Pyhäjärvi, a lake of 125 square kilometres (48 sq mi) and rich in fish. Pyhäjärvi became officially a town in January 1993. The town has 5,569 inhabitants (30 November 2014), of whom some 60 percent live in the two population centres Pyhäsalmi and Ruotanen.
Pyhäjärvi contains Europe's deepest mine, the 1,444 metres (4,738 ft) deep Pyhäsalmi Mine from where zinc and copper is mined.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 30.11.2014" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "EFPY Pyhäsalmi, Finland". VFR Suomi / Finland. Finavia. 12 February 2009. Retrieved 13 March 2009.
Media related to Pyhäjärvi at Wikimedia Commons
- Town of Pyhäjärvi – Official website
|This Oulu Province location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|