Pyotr Nikolayevich Pospelov (Russian: Пётр Николаевич Поспелов) (June 20, 1898, Konakovo, Russia — April 22, 1979, Moscow) was a high-ranked functionary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union ("Old Bolshevik", since 1916), propagandist, academician of the USSR Academy of Sciences (1953), chief editor of Pravda newspaper, director of the Institute of Marxism-Leninism. He was known as a staunch Stalinist who quickly became the supporter of Nikita Khrushchev. 
He graduated from the Economics Department of the Institute of Red Professors in 1930. He was one of the principal authors of the The History of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (Bolsheviks): Short Course, which served as a basic text on party history in the Stalinist period.
He is also known as the head of the "Pospelov commission" on the investigation of the mass repressions in the Soviet Union, whose findings had laid the basis and the contents of Nikita Khrushchev's "secret speech" On the Personality Cult and its Consequences 
|“||It was only because the Leninist party and its Central Committee, headed by J. V. Stalin, were able ideologically and politically to defeat Trotskyism as an anti-Leninist current, it was only because the entire party rose to the defense of the Leninist doctrine, that the party unity was preserved, and that the split desired by the Trotskyites was prevented and the Communist Party led the Soviet people to the victory of socialism in our country.||”|
Pospelov was buried at the Novodevichy Cemetery.
- 6 Orders of Lenin
- Order of the October Revolution
- Order of the Patriotic War of 2nd degree
- Order of Friendship of Peoples
- Hero of Socialist Labor (1958)
- Stalin Prize (1943)
- Pospelov's biography at khronos.ru (Russian)
- Banerji, Arup (2008). Writing History in the Soviet Union: Making the Past Work. New Delhi: Social Science Press. p. 145. ISBN 978-81-87358-37-4.
- Michael Charlton (1992) "Footsteps from the Finland Station: Five Landmarks in the Collapse of Communism" ISBN 1-56000-019-8, Chapter 1: "Khrushchev's Secret Speech", pp. 7–80
- Pospelov, Pyotr (1969). "Against Trotskyism". In Translations from Kommunist: No. 12, August 1969, pp. 54–72. Washington, D.C.: U. S. Joint Publications Research Service. Original in Kommunist No. 12 (August 1969), pp. 46–59.
|This article about a Soviet politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|