|Carlos Gonzálvez (general director)|
Pyro Studios was founded in 1996 with the purpose of developing quality video games. A consequence of this commitment was the development of Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines, which was released in 1998. The success of this title led to the release of a disk containing new missions entitled Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty.
In October 2001, the Microsoft Windows version of Commandos 2: Men of Courage was launched, followed by its release on Microsoft Xbox and Sony PlayStation 2, in September 2002. Commandos 3: Destination Berlin was released in October 2003. In total, the Commandos series has sold more than 5 million copies worldwide.
Imperial Glory was released at the beginning of 2005 and its latest offering, Commandos: Strike Force released during the first months of 2006, is far more similar to the Medal of Honor or Call of Duty games than to earlier entries of the series. The game was heavily criticized and sold poorly; this led to the split with the publisher Eidos.
In late 2008, the studio cancelled an Xbox 360 and PS3 game named Cops, laying off 30 employees. For its sister company's film Planet 51, Pyro developed the console version of a game, released in November 2009.
In 2012, Pyro Studios merged with Play Wireless, establishing Pyro Mobile, a company to develop applications for smartphones, tablets and social media. Its first mobile game, The Moleys, was released in December 2012.
- "The Moleys, the new game by Pyro, now available for iOS". Gamasutra. 12 December 2012. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- Miller, Greg (February 25, 2009). "Planet 51 Game Details Announced". IGN. Retrieved January 5, 2014.
- Sayed, Rashid (8 September 2010). "15 cancelled Xbox 360 games that should have never been cancelled". Gaming Bolt. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- Esteve, Jaune (21 January 2013). "Cops, el superventas que Pyro canceló". IGN Espana. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- Jones, Simon (June 17, 2009). "FIREBRAND Games Announces Planet 51 The Game On Nintendo DS". Peppermint. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- "PYROMOBILE, NACE UNA NUEVA DESARROLLADORA ESPAÑOLA". iOS Gamers Zone. October 2012. Retrieved 5 January 2014.