List of Python software
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Python software)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
The Python programming language is actively used by many people, both in industry and academia for a wide variety of purposes.
- 1 Integrated development environments for Python
- 2 Python package managers and Python distributions
- 3 Applications
- 4 Web applications
- 5 Video games
- 6 Web frameworks
- 7 Graphics frameworks
- 8 UI frameworks
- 9 Scientific packages
- 10 Mathematical libraries
- 11 Additional development packages
- 12 Embedded as a scripting language
- 13 Commercial uses
- 14 Python implementations
- 15 References
- 16 External links
Integrated development environments for Python
See also: Comparison of Python IDEs
- Boa Constructor, a cross-platform IDE for Python development
- EasyEclipse, an open source IDE for Python and other languages
- Eclipse with the Pydev plug-in. Eclipse supports many other languages as well.
- Eric, an IDE for Python and Ruby
- Geany, IDE for Python development and other languages
- Koding a free online development environment for many programming languages including Python.
- Komodo IDE an IDE for Python, Perl, PHP and Ruby
- NetBeans, is written in Java and runs everywhere where a JVM is installed.
- Ninja-IDE, free software, written in Python and Qt, Ninja name stands for Ninja-IDE Is Not Just Another IDE
- PIDA, open source IDE written in Python capable of embedding other text editors, such as Vim
- PyCharm, a proprietary and Open Source IDE for Python development
- PyScripter, Free and open-source software Python IDE for Windows.
- PythonAnywhere, an online IDE and Web hosting service
- Pythonista, a commercial Python IDE for iOS
- Python Tools for Visual Studio, Free and open-source plug-in for Visual Studio.
- Stani's Python Editor (SPE), a cross-platform IDE for Python development
- Sublime Text, a text editor.
- Webware for Python, a suite of programming tools for constructing web-based applications in Python
- Wing IDE, cross-platform proprietary with some free versions/licenses IDE for Python
Python package managers and Python distributions
- Anaconda, Python distribution with
- Enthought, Enthought Canopy Python with Python package manager
- pip, package management system used to install and manage software packages written in Python
- Python(x,y) a "free scientific and engineering development software for numerical computations, data analysis and data visualization based on Python programming language, Qt graphical user interfaces and Spyder interactive scientific development environment."
- Anki, a spaced repetition flashcard program
- Bazaar, a free distributed revision control system
- BitTorrent, original client, along with several derivatives
- Blender 3D (software), 3D art and animation program with a game engine. Allows for Python scripting in the game engine and in modelling and animation.
- BuildBot, a continuous integration system
- Calibre, an open source e-book management tool
- Chandler, a personal information manager including calendar, email, tasks and notes support that is not currently under development
- Cinema 4D, a 3D art and animation program for creating intros and 3-Dimensional text. Has a built in Python scripting console and engine.
- Deluge, a BitTorrent client for GNOME
- Dropbox, a web-based file hosting service
- emesene, a MSN/WLM substitute
- EventGhost, Free and open-source automation tool for Windows.
- Exaile, an open source audio player
- Gajim, an instant messaging client for the XMPP protocol
- GlobaLeaks, an open-source whistleblowing framework
- GRAMPS, an open source genealogy software
- Gwibber, a microblogging client
- Getting Things Gnome!, a to-do list manager for Gnome environment based on Getting Things Done philosophy
- Image Packaging System, an advanced, cross-platform package management system primarily used in the Solaris operating system and OpenSolaris derivatives
- Juice, a popular podcast downloader
- Mercurial a cross-platform, distributed source management tool
- Miro, a cross-platform internet television application
- Morpheus, file-sharing client/server software operated by the company StreamCast
- MusicBrainz Picard, a cross-platform MusicBrainz tag editor
- Nicotine, a PyGTK Soulseek client
- OpenLP, lyrics projection software
- OpenShot Video Editor
- OpenStack, a cloud computing IaaS platform
- Pip, a package manager used to install and manage Python software packages such as those from the Python Package Index (PyPI) software repository
- PiTiVi, a non-linear video editor
- Portage, the heart of Gentoo Linux, an advanced package management system based on the BSD-style ports system
- Quake Army Knife, an environment for developing 3D maps for games based on the Quake engine
- Quod Libet, a cross-platform free and open source music player, tag editor and library organizer
- Resolver One, a spreadsheet
- RhodeCode, a python based version control application for Git and Mercurial repositories 
- SABnzbd, A Usenet binaries downloader
- Sage (sagemath) combines more than 20 main opensource math packages and provides easy to use web interface with the help of Python
- SCons, a tool for building software
- Stellar, a crossplatform python game engine inspired by Game Maker
- Tryton, a three-tier high-level general purpose computer application platform
- Ubuntu Software Center, a graphical package manager, installed by default in Ubuntu 9.10 and higher
- Wammu, a mobile phone management utility
- Wicd, a network manager for Linux
- WikidPad, a free wiki-like outliner for personal thoughts, ideas, to-do lists, contacts, etc. with wiki-like linking between pages.
- YUM, a package management utility for RPM-compatible Linux operating systems
- ERP5, a powerful open source ERP / CRM used in Aerospace, Apparel, Banking and for e-government
- Gate One, an open source terminal emulator and SSH client
- GNU Mailman, one of the more popular packages for running email mailing lists
- MoinMoin, a wiki engine
- OpenERP, new name Odoo, an open source comprehensive suite of business applications
- Planet, a feed aggregator
- Plone, an open source content management system
- Pyrat is a Laboratory Animal Facility Management Software (or Lab Animal Colony Management Software) written in Python. Its name means "Python based Relational Animal Tracking"
- Roundup, a bug tracking system
- Tor2web, an HTTP proxy for Tor Hidden Services (HS)
- Trac, web-based bug/issue tracking database, wiki, and version control front-end
- Turntable.fm, a discontinued social media site for interactively sharing music
- ViewVC, a web-based interface for browsing CVS and SVN repositories
- Bridge Commander
- Civilization IV uses Python for most of its tasks
- Disney's Toontown Online is written in Python and uses Panda3D for graphics.
- Battlefield 2 uses Python for all of its addons and a lot of its functionality
- Eve Online uses Stackless Python
- Freedom Force
- Frets on Fire is written in Python and uses Pygame
- The Temple of Elemental Evil, a computer role-playing game based on the classic Greyhawk Dungeons & Dragons campaign setting
- Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines, a computer role-playing game based on the World of Darkness campaign setting
- Vega Strike, an open source space simulator, uses Python for internal scripting
- World of Tanks uses Python for most of its tasks
- CherryPy, an object-oriented web application server and framework
- Django, an MVT (model, view, template) web framework
- Bottle, A fast, simple and lightweight WSGI micro web framework
- Flask, a modern, lightweight, well-documented microframework based on Werkzeug and Jinja 2
- Google App Engine, a platform for developing and hosting web applications in Google-managed data centers, including Python.
- Pylons, a lightweight web framework emphasizing flexibility and rapid development
- Pyramid, is a minimalistic web framework inspired by Zope, Pylons and Django
- Quixote, a framework for developing Web applications in Python
- Topsite Templating System, another Python-powered web framework
- TurboGears, a web framework combining SQLObject/SQLAlchemy, Kid/Genshi, and CherryPy/Pylons
- web2py, a full-stack enterprise web application framework, following the MVC design
- Zope, an application server, commonly used to build content management systems
- Tornado, a lightweight non-blocking server and framework
- Pygame, Python bindings for SDL
- Panda3D, a 3D game engine for Python
- Python Imaging Library, a module for working with images
- Python-Ogre, a Python Language binding for the OGRE 3D engine
- Soya3D, a high-level 3D game engine for Python
- Kivy, open source Python library for developing multitouch application software with a natural user interface (NUI).
- PyGTK, a popular cross-platform GUI library based on GTK+; furthermore, other GNOME libraries also have bindings for Python
- PyQt, another cross-platform GUI library based on Qt; as above, KDE libraries also have bindings
- PySide, an alternative to the PyQt library, released under the BSD-style licence
- Tkinter is Python's de facto GUI it is shipped in most versions of Python and is integrated in the IDLE. It is based Tcl command tool.
- wxPython, a port of wxWidgets and a cross-platform GUI library for Python
- Astropy, a library of Python tools for astronomy and astrophysics.
- Biopython, a Python molecular biology suite
- graph-tool, a Python module for manipulation and statistical analysis of graphs.
- Pathomx, a workflow-based metabolomics analysis tool.
- NetworkX, a package for the creation, manipulation, and study of complex networks.
- SciPy, a library of scientific and numerical routines
- scikit-learn, a library for machine learning.
- scikit-image, a library for image processing.
- SymPy, a symbolic calculation package
- Veusz, a scientific plotting package
- VisTrails, a scientific workflow and provenance management software with visual programming interface and integrated visualization (via Matplotlib, VTK).
- Matplotlib, an extension providing MATLAB-like plotting and mathematical functions
- Plotly is a scientific plotting library for creating browser-based graphs.
- NumPy, a language extension that adds support for large and fast, multi-dimensional arrays and matrices
- Sage is a large mathematical software application which integrates the work of nearly 100 free software projects and supports linear algebra, combinatorics, numerical mathematics, calculus, and more.
- SymPy, a symbolic mathematical calculations package
Additional development packages
- Cheetah, a Python-powered template engine and code-generation tool
- Construct, a python library for the declarative construction and deconstruction of data structures
- IPython, a development shell both written in and designed for Python
- Jinja, a Python-powered template engine, inspired by Django's template engine
- mod python, an Apache module allowing direct integration of Python scripts with the Apache web server
- PYthon Remote Objects, a Distributed Object Technology
- PyObjC, a Python to Objective-C bridge that allows writing Mac OS X software in Python
- Setuptools, a package development process library designed to facilitate packaging Python projects by enhancing the Python distutils (distribution utilities) standard library.
- Sphinx (documentation generator), which converts reStructuredText files into HTML websites and other formats including PDF, EPub and Man pages
- Twisted, a networking framework for Python
- VPython, the Python programming language plus a 3D graphics module called Visual
Embedded as a scripting language
Python is, or can be used as the scripting language in these software products.
- Abaqus (Finite Element Software)
- ADvantage Framework
- ArcGIS, a prominent GIS platform, allows extensive modelling using Python
- Autodesk Maya, professional 3D modeler allows Python scripting as an alternative to MEL as of version 8.5
- Autodesk MotionBuilder
- Autodesk Softimage (formerly Softimage|XSI)
- BioNumerics a bioinformatics software suite for the management, storage and (statistical) analysis of all types of biological data.
- Boxee, a cross-platform home theater PC software
- Cinema 4D
- Corel Paint Shop Pro
- Claws Mail with Python plugin
- Cyme, an Electrical Power engineering software
- Editorial, a commercial text editor for iOS
- ERDAS Imagine
- EventScripts, plugin for Valve's Source engine
- GNAT The GNAT programming chain tool (Ada language implementation in GNU gcc), as a GNATcoll reusable components for the applications (with or without PyGTK) and as a scripting language for the commands in the GPS programming environment
- Houdini highly evolved 3D animation package, fully extensible using python
- Inkscape, a free vector graphics editor
- MeVisLab, a medical image processing and visualization software, uses Python for network scripting, macro modules, and application building
- Minecraft: Pi Edition (game)
- MSC.Software's CAE packages: Adams, Mentat, SimXpert
- MySQL Workbench, a visual database design tool
- Notepad++ has a plugin named PythonScript that allows scripting Notepad++ in Python
- Nuke (compositing for visual effects)
- ParaView, an opensource scientific visualization software
- Poser, a 3D rendering and animation computer program that uses for scripting a special dialect of Python, called PoserPython
- PyMOL, a popular molecular viewer that embeds Python for scripting and integration
- QGIS uses Python for scripting and plugin-development
- Rhinoceros 3D version 5.0
- 3DSlicer, medical image visualisation and analysis software. Python is available for algorithm implementation, analysis pipelines, and GUI creation.
- SPSS statistical software SPSS Programmability Extension allows users to extend the SPSS command syntax language with Python
- Totem, a media player for the GNOME desktop environment
- WeeChat, a console IRC client
- CCP hf uses Stackless Python in both its server and client side applications for its MMO Eve Online
- Google uses Python for many tasks including the backends of web apps such as Google Groups, Gmail, and Google Maps, as well as for some of its search-engine internals 
- NASA is using Python to implement a CAD/CAE/PDM repository and model management, integration, and transformation system which will be the core infrastructure for its next-generation collaborative engineering environment. It is also the development language for OpenMDAO, a framework developed by NASA for solving multidisciplinary design optimization problems.
- reddit was originally written in Common Lisp, but was rewritten in Python in 2005
- Yahoo! Groups uses Python "to maintain its discussion groups"
- YouTube uses Python "to produce maintainable features in record times, with a minimum of developers"
- Enthought uses python as the main language for countless custom applications in Geophysics, Financial applications, Astrophysics, simulations for consumer product companies, ...
- EDF uses Python for their finite element solver Code Aster in combination with Fortran
- ActivePython, the Python implementation from ActiveState, includes a Windows Script Host scripting engine called PythonScript. Scripts written in PythonScript have the default file name extension of .pys.
- CPython - the reference implementation, written in C89.
- CLPython Common Lisp
- Cython is a programming language to simplify writing C and C++ extension modules for the CPython Python runtime.
- IronPython - Python for .NET and Mono platforms
- Jython - Python coded in Java
- Parrot - virtual machine being developed mainly as the runtime for Perl 6, but with the intent to also support dynamic languages like Python, Ruby, Tcl, etc.
- Psyco - not an implementation, but JIT compiler for CPython
- PyPy - Python (originally) coded in Python, used in conjunction RPython, a restricted subset of Python that is amenable to static analysis and therefore a JIT.
- Stackless Python - Python with coroutines
- Unladen Swallow - the Python implementation from the Google team
- "RhodeCode Follows Trail Blazed by MySQL with Release of Open Source Enterprise Solution". Yahoo. 2013-08-07.
- EVE Online
- Quotes about Python
- blog.reddit - what's new on reddit: on lisp
- Python Package Index (formerly the Python Cheese Shop) is the official directory of Python software libraries and modules
- ActiveState O'Reilly Python Cookbook contains hundreds of code samples for various tasks using Python
- Useful Modules in the Python.org wiki
- Organizations Using Python - a list of projects that make use of Python
- Ohloh - open source projects in Python
- pydoc.net - open source package library for Python
- Python.org editors - Multi-platform table of various Python editors
- Minimal Web Frameworks for Python Web Developers