|Place of origin||People's Republic of China|
|Designer||Liu Ming (刘铭) of the Small Arms Research Institute (formerly the 208 Research Institute); also attributed to Qing Shangsheng (卿上升)|
|Manufacturer||Norinco, apparently at the Changfeng Machine Shop (长风机械厂)|
|Length||190 mm (7.48 in)|
|Barrel length||111 mm (4.33 in)|
|Action||Short recoil, locked breech, rotating barrel lock|
|Muzzle velocity||350 m/s (1,150 ft/s) (9×19mm Parabellum)|
|Effective firing range||50 meters (9×19mm Parabellum)|
Detachable box magazine; capacities:
|Sights||Fixed, 3-dot type|
The pistol is recoil operated, locked breech and uses a rotating barrel locking system, in which the barrel rotates on recoil to lock and unlock itself from the slide and the front part of the frame under the barrel is shaped as an accessory rail to accept laser sights or flash lights.
Its dual stack magazine holds fifteen of either 9×19mm Parabellum ammunition (QSZ-92-9) or twenty proprietary 5.8×21mm Chinese-made armor-piercing rounds with bottle-necked case and pointed bullets (QSZ-92-5.8), closely resembling the Belgian 5.7×28mm format.
The development of the QSZ-92 pistol began circa 1994 and it is now being adopted by the People's Liberation Army forces. The export variants (9mm version) include the CF-98 (barrel life c. 8000 rds) and the NP-42 (barrel life c. 10,000 rds). The latter is the basic version without provisions for suppressor etc., which has so far found commercial export in Canada. There is also a compact version of the NP42.
The QSZ-92 is in limited service in the People's Liberation Army since the late 1990s, notably in People's Liberation Army Macau Garrison. The Chinese military has adopted the 9mm version over the 5.8mm one, as the 9mm version is issued to soldiers while the 5.8mm is adopted by the commanders.
QSZ-92 has been in the service of some Southern Asian armed forces outside the PRC.
- QSZ-92: basic variant, which chambers the bottlenecked DAP92 ammunition in 5.8×21mm or 9×19mm Parabellum. Its R50 value is smaller than 5 cm, R100 value smaller than 11 cm. Its failure rate is lower than 2 out of 1000 and its lifespan is 3000 rounds.
- CF98: export variant chambering 9×19mm Parabellum with a lifespan of 8000 rounds
- NP42: redesigned export variant chambering 9×19mm Parabellum with a lifespan of 10000 rounds, double feed capacity of 15/10 rounds, and a decreased failure rate of 1 out of 1000. Its accuracy has been improved, with a R50 value of smaller than 4 cm and R100 value of less than 9 cm.
- CF07: compact pistol chambering 9mm with a wear- and corrosion-resistant coat
- CS/LP5: new compact pistol chambering 9mm