|Q: The Winged Serpent|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Larry Cohen|
|Produced by||Larry Cohen|
|Written by||Larry Cohen|
|Music by||Robert O. Ragland|
|Editing by||Armond Lebowitz|
|Distributed by||United Film Distribution Company (UFDC)|
|Release date(s)||October 29, 1982 (USA)|
|Running time||93 minutes|
Q (also known as The Winged Serpent and as Q - The Winged Serpent) is a 1982 horror film written and directed by Larry Cohen and starring Michael Moriarty, Candy Clark, David Carradine, and Richard Roundtree.
- Michael Moriarty as Jimmy Quinn
- Candy Clark as Sailor Joel
- David Carradine as Dr. Shepard
- Richard Roundtree as Sergeant Powell
- James Dixon as Lieutenant Murray
- Malachy McCourt as Commissioner Nick McConnell
- Fred J. Scollay as Captain Fletcher
- Peter Hock as Detective Harold Kipps
- Ron Cey as Officer Hoberman
- Mary Louise Weller as Mrs. Pauley
The movie was shot on location in and around New York city's Chrysler Building and uses the interior of the building's tower crown as a primary location.
The original music score was composed by Robert O. Ragland.
The film was marketed with the tagline "It's [sic] name is Quetzalcoatl... just call it Q, that's all you'll have time to say before it tears you apart!"
The film poster's glossy monster illustration was painted by science fiction/fantasy artist Boris Vallejo.
Roger Ebert gave the film 2 and 1/2 stars in his original review but was bursting with praise for Moriarty's performance. He relates the anecdote that, when movie reviewer Rex Reed met Q's producer, Samuel Z. Arkoff, Reed told him "What a surprise! All that dreck—and right in the middle of it, a great Method performance by Michael Moriarty!" Arkoff replied "The dreck was my idea." Andrew Smith at Popcorn Pictures said that the film was tough going at times but picked up whenever the monster was on screen.
- Patrick McGilligan, "Larry Cohen: Manic Energy", Backstory 4: Interviews with Hollywood Screenwriters of the 1970s and 1980s, Uni of California, 2006 p 64
- "Q (1982)". the -numbers.com. Retrieved 2011-04-16.
- "Company Credits for Q". imdb.com. Retrieved 2011-04-16.
- "Q (DVD)". dvdempire.com. Retrieved 2011-04-16.
- Roger Ebert's review
- Q, The Winged Serpent (1982) Review Popcorn Pictures
|This article about a 1980s horror film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|