Location of Qaasuitsup within Greenland
|Coordinates (Qaasuitsup Commune): Coordinates:|
|State||Kingdom of Denmark|
|Established||1 January 2009|
|• Mayor||Ole Dorph (Siumut)|
|• Total||660,000 km2 (254,827 sq mi)|
|• Density||0.027/km2 (0.07/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-03, UTC-04|
|ISO 3166 code||GL-QA|
Qaasuitsup (Greenlandic: Qaasuitsup Kommunia, "Place of Polar Darkness") is a municipality in Greenland, operational from 1 January 2009. As of January 2013 its population is 17,498. The administrative center of the municipality is in Ilulissat (formerly called Jakobshavn). The municipality consists of the former municipalities of western and northern Greenland, each named after the biggest settlement:
- Aasiaat Municipality
- Kangaatsiaq Municipality
- Ilulissat Municipality
- Qaanaaq Municipality
- Qasigiannguit Municipality
- Qeqertarsuaq Municipality
- Uummannaq Municipality
- Upernavik Municipality
The municipality is located in northwestern Greenland. With an area of 660,000 km2 (254,827.4 sq mi), it is the largest municipality in the world by area, larger than France at 643,427 km2 (248,428.6 sq mi).
In the south, it is flanked by the Qeqqata municipality. In the southeast, it is bordered by the Sermersooq municipality, however this border runs north-south (45° West meridian) through the center of the Greenland ice sheet (Greenlandic: Sermersuaq), and as such is free of traffic. In the east and northeast it is bordered by the Northeast Greenland National Park.
At the southern end of the municipal coastline are the waters of Disko Bay, an inlet of the larger Baffin Bay, which to the north edges into the island of Greenland in the form of Melville Bay. The coastline of northeastern Baffin Bay is dotted with islands of the Upernavik Archipelago, entirely contained within the municipality. In the far northwest near Qaanaaq and Siorapaluk, the municipal shores extend into Nares Strait, which separates Greenland from Ellesmere Island.
Towns and settlements
- Aasiaat (Egedesminde)
- Ilimanaq (Claushavn)
- Ilulissat (Jakobshavn)
- Kangaatsiaq (Prøven)
- Kitsissuarsuit (Hunde Ejlande, Dog's Island)
- Nuussuaq (Kraulshavn)
- Oqaatsut (Rodebay)
- Qaanaaq (Thule)
- Qasigiannguit (Christianshåb)
- Qeqertaq (Øen)
- Qeqertarsuaq (Godhavn)
- Saqqaq (Solsiden)
- Upernavik (Women's Island)
- Upernavik Kujalleq (Søndre Upernavik)
- Uummannaq (Omenak)
Kalaallisut, the West Greenlandic dialect, is spoken in the towns and settlements of the western and northwestern coasts. Inuktun is also spoken in and around Qaanaaq.
References and notes
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Qaasuitsup.|
-  Qaasuitsup Kommunia (English)
- Statistics Greenland, Greenland in Figures 2010
- Greenland in Figures 2013 (PDF). Statistics Greenland. ISBN 978-87-986787-7-9. ISSN 1602-5709. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- Qaasuitsup Municipality (Kalaallisut)
- "Fakta om kommunen" (in Danish). Qaasuitsup Municipality, Official Website. Retrieved 8 July 2010.
- not considering the Chilean Antarctic commune, which is not internationally recognized
- France at the CIA World Factbook