Qazi Kholiquzzaman Ahmad
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
|Qazi Kholiquzzaman Ahmad|
|Chairman of Dhaka School of Economics & PKSF|
March 12, 1943 |
Sylhet, Assam (now Bangladesh)
|Spouse(s)||Dr. Zaheda Ahmad|
|Alma mater||University of Dhaka
London School of Economics
|Website||QK Ahmad's Official website|
Qazi Kholiquzzaman Ahmad (Bengali: কাজী খলীকুজ্জমান আহমদ) is a leading Bangladeshi economist and development thinker and activist. He is currently the chairman of Dhaka School of Economics (DScE), a Constituent Institution of the University of Dhaka, devoted to post-graduate studies in economics and related subjects. He is also the chairman of Palli Karma-Sahayak Foundation (PKSF), which is largest rural development funding, skill development and management support agency in Bangladesh.
Early Life and Education
Q K Ahmad was born in 1943 in Sylhet district of Bangladesh., which was at that time part of Indian Assam. His father, the late Mumtazul Muhaddisin Moulana Md. Mufazzal Hussain, was a member (MLA) of the Assam Legislative Assembly from 1946-52 and later a college professor. Ahmad was taught by his father until he went to school at the 8th grade. He achieved outstanding results in both secondary and higher secondary levels. He studied at the University of Dhaka, obtaining BA (Hons) in economics and MA (Econ.) degrees in 1961 and 1962 respectively. Later, he went to the London School of Economics(LSE), University of London, on a national merit fellowship and obtained MPhil (Econ.) and PhD (Econ.) degrees. He was active in promoting Bangladesh’s nationalist aspirations during the 1960s and worked in the Planning Cell of Bangladesh Government-in-Exile during the War of Liberation of Bangladesh in 1971.
Ahmad spent 23 years in a research career at Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS) and its predecessor Pakistan Institute of Development Economics (PIDE), having been a Research Director for a number of years. He left BIDS in 1987 and then worked as the chairman (chief executive) of Bangladesh Unnayan Parishad (BUP), which he helped, set up in 1980. He left BUP on taking over as chairman of the Governing Body of PKSF in November 2009. He is the founder chairman of Dhaka School of Economics -DScE, established in August 2010. He was elected President of Bangladesh Economic Association (BEA), the apex body of economists of Bangladesh, for consecutive three terms from 2002 to 2010.
He was Coordinating Lead Author and Lead Author of the Third and the Fourth Assessments respectively of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), published respectively in 2001 and 2007. He was President of the Kuala Lumpur-based Association of Development Research and Training Institutes of Asia and the Pacific—ADIPA (which is now renamed the Asian Political and International Studies Association—APISA) from 1979–83 and Vice President of the Rome-based Society for International Development (SID) from 1988-91. He led many UN FAO/WFP food and crop assessment missions during the 1990s and early 2000s to food deficit African and Asian countries facing food crisis due to natural disasters and civil strife.
In addition to his other responsibilities, he is currently Coordinator of Bangladesh Climate Change Negotiation Team within the framework of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). He represents Bangladesh in the UN Open Working Group (OWG) on Post-2015 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). He is also a member of the Executive Board of Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) of Kyoto Protocol, representing non-Annex-1 countries.
- 2012: He was awarded Bangladesh Economic Association (BEA)Gold Medal.
- 2009: Was awarded the Ekushey Padak 2009.
- 2007: Is a Member of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize winning UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change -IPCC Team.
- 2005: Received Mercantile Bank Award-2005.
His publications and research and other works include 35 books and over 200 articles, research reports and unpublished papers. He has also contributed numerous columns in newspapers. He is a well-known expert on water and climate change issues. Some of Ahmad’s publications are listed below:  
- 2009: Tackling Social Exclusion: South Asia, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). Description.
- 2007: Socio-Economic and Indebtedness-Related Impact of Micro-Credit in Bangladesh, ActionAid Bangladesh (AAB), ISBN 984-0517-78-3. Description.
- 2005: Emerging Global Economic Order and the Developing Countries, (editor), University Press Ltd (UPL), ISBN 984-0517-57-0. Description.
- 2005: Climate Change and Water Resources in South Asia, (co-editor), Francis & Taylor,ISBN 0-415-36442-6. Description.
- 2001: Ganges-Brahmaputra-Meghna Region: A Framework for Sustainable Development (co-editor), University Press Limited (UPL), ISBN 9840516086. Description.
- 1996: The Implications of Climate and Sea-Level Change for Bangladesh, co-editor, Kluwer Academic Publishers, ISBN 0792340019. Description.
- 1984: Rural Poverty Alleviation in Bangladesh Experiences and Policies (co author) A WCARRD follow up Study, In depth Studies Series 10, FAO. Description.
- , The Daily Star: Socio-economic progress and shaping the future, article by QK Ahmad
- , The Daily Star: Call for low to ensure food, discussion led by QK Ahmad
- , Chairman of PKSF
- , BBC News: Microcredit 'death trap' for Bangladesh's poor, Precipitated by Chairman of PKSF
- , Member (MLA) of the Assam Legislative Assembly from 1946-52
- Ashfaque Hossain, History of Liberation War of Moulvibazar District, published by Syed Mofassir Ali, Moulvibazar, Bangladesh, 1997. (Liberation War 1971)
- , Planning Cell of Bangladesh Government-in-Exile during Bangladesh liberation war in 1971
- , Member of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize winning IPCC
- , UNFCCC: Coordinator of Bangladesh
- , UNFCCC: Climate change coordinator of Bangladesh
- , International Union for Conservation of Nature (ICUN): member of "Ecosystems for Life"
- , Represents Bangladesh in the UN Open Working Group (OWG)
- , Executive Board member of Clean Development Mechanism (CDM)
- , The Daily Star: PM to hand over Ekushey Padak-2009 to QK Ahmad
- , Received Mercantile Bank Award-2005 for his outstanding contribution in the field of economic research
- , Qazi Kholiquzzaman Ahmad's book in Book Finder
- , Qazi Kholiquzzaman Ahmad's book in Google Books
- , Qazi Kholiquzzaman Ahmad's book in Web