Qingdao University of Science and Technology
|Qingdao University of Science & Technology|
|President||Ma Lianxiang (马连湘)|
|Other students||450 international students|
|Location||Qingdao, Shandong, People's Republic of China
|Campus||Three campuses, one urban and two suburban, 225 hectares|
Qingdao University of Science and Technology (simplified Chinese: 青岛科技大学; traditional Chinese: 青島科技大學; pinyin: Qīngdǎo Kējì Dàxué, english acronym QUST) is a university located in Qingdao, China, colloquially known as Qingkeda (青科大). Having evolved from a school specializing in the chemical industry, it is now a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary university offering academic degrees in Science, Technology, Humanities, Business, Management, Medicine, Law and Arts. The school encompasses three campuses in Sifang and Laoshan districts of Qingdao and Gaomi district of Weifang.
The origin of the university lies in the Shenyang Light Industry Vocational School (沈阳轻工业高级职业学校) that was founded in 1950. The school moved from Shenyang, capital of Liaoning Province, to Qingdao in 1956 and was renamed Qingdao Rubber Industry School (青岛橡胶工业学校). In 1958 it became, under the name Shandong College of Chemical Industry (山东化工学院), directly subordinated to the Ministry of Chemical Industry. Since 1984 it was named Qingdao Institute of Chemical Industry (青岛化工学院). The range of subjects was steadily expanded in the following decades, including the incorporation of the Qingdao Arts and Crafts School (青岛工艺美术学校) in 2001. That same year, full university status was granted, followed by the adoption of the current name in March 2002 along with the inauguration of the new campus in Laoshan.
Qingdao University of Science and Technology is one of the nine Provincial Key Universities of Shandong (山东省属重点高校). It was ranked 45st among Engineering Universities on the Mainland in 2013. The university offers 3 first level and 21 second level doctoral programs, 20 first level and 122 second level master programs and 68 undergraduate programs. In 2011, it was included in the first national Excellence Plan for Engineering Education (卓越工程师教育培养计划).
Chemistry and Material sciences are the most renowned majors offered, with the Key Laboratory of Rubber-plastics as well as the Key Laboratory of Eco-chemical Engineering of the Ministry of Education being hosted by the university. Several post-doctoral research stations in those disciplines are also available.
The oldest campus of the university is located in Sifang district near the Jiaozhou Bay Bridge. It is renowned for its Soviet-style main building, built in 1956. A large cluster of high-end chemical and rubber industries, the so-called Rubber Valley (橡胶谷), is located adjacent to the campus.
- College of Chemical Engineering 化工学院
- College of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering 化学与分子工程学院
- School of Polymer Science and Engineering 高分子科学与工程学院
- College of Materials Science and Engineering 材料科学与工程学院
- College of Environment and Safety Engineering 环境与安全工程学院
- College of Automation and Electronic Engineering 自动化与电子工程学院
- College of Adult Vocational Education 成教学院高职学院
The biggest in area campus was inaugurated in 2002. It is located in near many tourist hotspots, including Mount Lao (崂山) and the Shilaoren Beach (石老人海水浴场). In addition to the faculties that were added as part of the transition into a comprehensive university, Laoshan Campus also includes the main administration and library.
- College of Electromechanical Engineering 机电工程学院
- College of Mathematics 数理学院
- School of Information Sciences and Technology 信息科学技术学院
- School of Foreign Languages 外国语学院
- College of Economics and Management 经济与管理学院
- College of the Arts 艺术学院
- College of Communication and Animation 传播与动漫学院
- College of Marxism 马克思主义学院
- Law School 政法学院
- Department of Sports 体育教学部
- Sino-German Technology College 中德科技学院
- College of International Cooperation 国际合作学院
Several branches of the main faculties are located in Gaomi, with most majors offered in Economics, Chemical and Computer sciences. The campus was opened in 2009.
- Qingdao University of Science and Technology, Gaomi Campus 青岛科技大学高密校区
Qingkeda has a strong partnership with the University of Paderborn, Germany, that has resulted in the establishment of the Sino-German Technology College on Laoshan Campus. Cooperation agreements exist with over 60 educational institutions. Other universities that have an agreement on teachers exchange with the Qingdao Technological University include:
- Tambov State Technical University, Russia
- Kongju National University, South Korea
- Kangnam University, South Korea
- Regensburg University of Applied Sciences, Germany
Qingkeda is unique among universities in Shandong in that they directly sponsor a professional football team, Qingdao University of Science and Technology F.C.. In addition, the university is also in charge of the Qingdao Sea Eagles F.C. (青岛海之鹰足球俱乐部) that compete in the local Qingdao league. A large number of enterprises, mostly in the rubber and plastics industry, are affiliated to the university.
Notable faculty and alumni
- Mo Yan (1955- ), novelist and short story writer, winner of Nobel Prize in Literature 2012, Visiting Professor since 2011
- Wang Tianpu (1962- ), president of Sinopec Corporation, graduated with a Bachelor of Engineering in 1985
- "Qingdao University of Science and Technology (QUST)". CUCAS. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- "2013 理工类院校综合指标排行". netbig.com. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- "学校简介". Qingdao University of Science and Technology. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- "友好学校". International Exchange and Cooperation Office, Qingdao University of Science and Technology. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- Qingdao University of Science and Technology website (Chinese)
- Qingdao University of Science and Technology website (English)
- Key Laboratory of Rubber-plastics website (Chinese)