|This article relies on references to primary sources. (June 2009)|
Screenshot of Qt Creator 2.0.1
|Stable release||2.8.1 / 28 August 2013|
|Preview release||3.0 Release Candidate / 29 November 2013|
|Written in||C++ (Qt)|
|Operating system||Linux, OS X, Windows|
Qt Creator is a cross-platform C++ integrated development environment which is part of the SDK for the Qt GUI Application development framework. It includes a visual debugger and an integrated GUI layout and forms designer. The editor's features include syntax highlighting and autocompletion, but not tabs. Qt Creator uses the C++ compiler from the GNU Compiler Collection on Linux and FreeBSD. On Windows it can use MinGW or MSVC with the default install and can also use cdb when compiled from source code.
Development of what would eventually become Qt Creator had begun by 2007 or earlier under transitional names Workbench and later Project Greenhouse.  It debuted during the later part of the Qt 4 era, starting with the release of Qt Creator, version 1.0 in March of 2009 and subsequently bundled with Qt 4.5 in SDK 2009.3.
This was at a time when the standalone Qt Designer application was still the widget layout tool of choice for developers. There is no indication that Creator had layout capability at this stage. The record is somewhat muddied on this point (perhaps due to changes in ownership or the emphasis on Qt Quick), but the integration of Qt Designer under Qt Creator is first mentioned at least as early as Qt 4.7 (ca. late 2011) Currently (in the Qt 5 era) it is simply stated that "[Qt Designer's] functionality is now included as part of [sic] Qt Creator IDE."
Qt Creator includes a project manager that uses a cross platform project file format (.pro). A project file can contain information such as what files are included into the project, custom build steps and settings for running the applications.
Qt Creator includes a code editor and integrates Qt Designer for designing and building graphical user interfaces (GUIs) from Qt widgets.
The code editor in Qt Creator supports syntax highlighting for various languages. In addition to that, the code editor can parse code in C++ and QML languages and as a result code completion, context-sensitive help, semantic navigation are provided.
Qt Designer is a tool for designing and building graphical user interfaces (GUIs) from Qt widgets. It is possible to compose and customize the widgets or dialogs and test them using different styles and resolutions directly in the editor. Widgets and forms created with Qt Designer are integrated with programmed code, using the Qt signals and slots mechanism.
Qt Quick Designer is a tool for developing animations by using a declarative programming language QML.
Qt Creator provides support for building and running Qt applications for desktop environments (Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS) and mobile devices (Android, BlackBerry, Maemo, and MeeGo). Build settings allow you to switch between build targets. For mobile device targets, Qt Creator can generate an installation package, install it to a mobile device that is attached to the development computer and run it there. Installation packages can be published on the Ovi Store.
Qt Creator is integrated with a set of helpful tools, such as version control systems and Qt Simulator. The following version control systems are supported:
Qt Simulator is a tool for testing Qt applications that are intended for mobile devices in an environment similar to that of the device.
Qt Creator does not include a debugger. It provides a debugger plugin that acts as an interface between the Qt Creator core and external native debuggers to debug the C++ language. Qt Creator displays the raw information provided by the native debuggers in a simplified manner. Debuggers supported are:
- GNU Symbolic Debugger (gdb)
- Microsoft Console Debugger (CDB)
- "Qt Creator 2.8.1 & Installer Framework 1.4.0 released | Qt Blog". Blog.qt.digia.com. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- "Qt Creator 3.0 RC1 released | Qt Blog". Blog.qt.digia.com. 2013-11-29. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- "Qt Licensing - Qt Developer Network". qt-project.org. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- "Developer Tools — Digia Plc". qt.digia.com. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- "Qt Blog, ''Qt Creator 1.2 released'' (accessed 12 Aug. 2013)". Blog.qt.digia.com. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- "Qt Blog, ''Working hard on QtCreator 1.1'' (accessed 12 Aug. 2013)". Blog.qt.digia.com. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- "Computrade, ''Qt 4.5, Qt Creator released...'' (accessed 12 Aug. 2013)". Cti.acesuppliers.com. 2009-03-24. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- http://qt-project.org/wiki/QtCreatorWhitepaper Ot Project site, Qt Creator Whitepaper. Unfortunately this document doesn't seem to include any reference to Qt or Qt Creator version numbers. That information is seen only on the 'parent' page that links to this one, http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.7/ (both accessed 12 Aug. 2013)
- "Nokia Developer Wiki, ''Qt Designer'' (accessed 11 Aug. 2013)". Developer.nokia.com. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- "Qt Creator: FAQ". qt-project.org. 31 March 2009. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Qt Creator.|
- Qt-Project's QtCreator wiki page
- Open Source Page
- Qt Creator Manual
- C++ front-end introduction
- Official C++ front-end wiki