|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2011)|
|Developer(s)||Rui Nuno Capela|
|Stable release||0.6.6 / 29 March 2015|
|Written in||C++ (Qt)|
|Type||Digital audio workstation|
|License||GNU General Public License|
Qtractor is a hard disk recorder and digital audio workstation application for Linux. Qtractor is written in C++ and is based on the Qt4 library. Its author is Rui Nuno Capela, who is also responsible for the Qjackctl, Qsynth and Qsampler line of Linux audio software. Qtractor's intention is to provide digital audio workstation software simple enough for the average home user, and yet powerful enough for the professional user.
Qtractor is currently under rapid development, and SVN versions are updated often with new features.
Qtractor is a non-destructive digital audio and MIDI multi-track composition sequencer and arranger software application. It does not affect, alter or modify the audio and/or MIDI files that are displayed as Clip Objects. Exceptions are files resulting from capture and recording operations or from explicit changes made through specialized Clip editing (e.g., MIDI Editor).
Currently Qtractor is simply the hobby project of one developer. Development was started on April 2005, initially as a Qt3 application. Since October 2006, it is officially a Qt4 application.
- Supports all sample rates, only restricted by hardware.
- Supports multiple audio file formats, both compressed and uncompressed, including older formats such as 8SVX and .iff.
- Clip editing and automatic or manual Time Stretching abilities.
- Supports most major audio and MIDI file formats and most Linux plugin technologies.
- Clips may be easily edited by dragging the left or right edges for cropping, or even for timeshifting, by using the shift key modifier.
- Qtractor may be used in an audio mastering environment. Its integration with JACK makes it possible to use mastering tools such as JAMin to process the audio data.
- Qtractor has both an audio and MIDI metronome with user selectable audio samples.
- Easily move and copy plugins (with params) among tracks.
- Keyboard commands (hotkeys) are entirely customizable.
- Audition audio files within the Files dialog.
- Built-in Qjackctl Connections dialog.
- Supports LADSPA, DSSI (this includes DSSI-VST wrapper), native Linux VST and LV2 plugins.
Qtractor relies on plugins to enable many features from audio effects processing to dynamic control. Qtractor supports the LADSPA plugin architecture, as well as DSSI, native Linux VST and LV2. Support for Steinberg's VST plugin standard with Wine is available using the DSSI-VST wrapper. Qtractor "remembers" all these connections, and re-establishes them when a session project is reloaded.
- Ardour (audio processor)
- List of free audio software
- Linux audio software
- Jucetice: Native Linux VST plugins