According to The Age in January 2010 Qu Tanzhou was part of a high-level delegation of senior officials that traveled to the Antarctic, led by Xu Shaoshi, China's Minister for Land and Resources. The delegation travelled aboard the Xue Long, China's icebreaker.
- "At this stage, we are paying attention to climate and environmental change … [looking at] oceanography, geography, [evidence of] meteorites.
- "Also, we are here about the potential of the resources and how to use these resources."
- Jo Chandler (2010-01-07). "China flags polar resource goals". The Age. Retrieved 2010-01-14.
- "Qu Tanzhou Interview: China’s Growing Contribution to International Polar Research". International Polar Foundation. 2008-01-29. Retrieved 2010-01-14.
- "Antarctic expedition in full swing in greeting International Polar Year". China People's Daily. 2007-11-08. Retrieved 2010-01-14.