|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
The Baab-ul-Quaid - entrance of the university
|Motto||وَمَن يُؤْتَ الْحِكْمَةَ فَقَدْ أُوتِيَ خَيْرًا كَثِيرًا|
|Motto in English||And He to Whom wisdom is granted receiveth indeed a benefit overflowing|
|Chancellor||President of Pakistan|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Eatzaz Ahmed|
|Former names||University of Islamabad|
The Quaid-i-Azam University (Urdu: جامعہ قائداعظم; simply Qau), (formally known as Islamabad University) is a public research university located in Islamabad , Pakistan. Consisting of four faculties, nine affiliated research institutes, the university is consistently ranked as the top university in Pakistan " by the HEC and is ranked by Quacquarelli Symonds ranking among the top 500 universities in the world in 2013, while it was ranked at 69th top university of the world in field of 'Engineering and Technology'.
With overall ~5,500 students currently attending the university, it offers undergraduate, post-graduate, and doctoral programmes in various academic disciplines. The Quaid-i-Azam University scholars have played critical role in the development of various academic disciplines including in social and natural sciences. Its school of social sciences is well known for its leading contribution to the movement in critical analysis. Also, the university's school of natural sciences holds an international prestige for its leading and developmental role in physics and mathematics since its establishment.
Covering the approximated area of 1700 acres (or 6.9 km²) below the Margalla Hills, the university is internationally known for its higher learning, technological advancement, and intellectual interaction with a joint collaboration in various academic discipline with various international institutes, including the United Nations. It is one of the most popular universities in the country and has attracted world renowned scholars and intellectuals to serve as faculty, researchers, or alumni since its establishment in 1967.
Quaid-i-Azam University (once named Islamabad University) was established in July 1967 under the Act of National Assembly and started teaching and research programmes for PhD and MPhil degrees. However, it later decided to offer Master’s, graduate, and now undergraduate programmes. Currently, the Quaid-i-Azam University has four faculties and nine other teaching and research Institutes, Centre and Schools.
Faculties and departments
Quaid-i-Azam University consists of four faculties and following Departments, Institutes/ Schools are working under these faculties;
Faculty of Natural Sciences
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Electronics
- Institute of Information Technology
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Physics
- Department of Statistics
Faculty of Social Sciences
- Quaid-i-Azam School of Management Sciences (QASMS)
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Linguistics
- Department of Defence & Strategic Studies
- School of Economics
- Department of History
- School of Politics and International Relations
- School of Law
- Taxila Institute of Asian Civilizations
Faculty of Biological Sciences
- Department of Animal Sciences
- Department of Bio Chemistry
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Plant Sciences
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Environmental Sciences
- QAU School of Medicine
- Department of Pharmacy
- National Center for Bioinformatics
Faculty of Medical Science
- Al-Shifa Eye Trust Hospital Rawalpindi
- Army Forces Post Graduate Medical Institute
- Health Services Academy, Islamabad
- Federal Medical & Dental College
- Quaid e Azam Postgraduate Medical College, PIMS
- Shifa College of Medicine, Islamabad
- National Institute of Historical and Cultural Research (NIHCR) Center for Excellence
- Center of Excellence in Gender Studies
- National Institute of Psychology
- National Institute of Pakistan Studies
- Area Study Centre for Africa, North & South America 
Rankings and reputation
|University and college Rankings|
|General – International|
For QS Top 10 Asian universities QAU was ranked 6th in natural science category for year 2010. The university was overall ranked between 100-200 among the QS world top universities in 2007 and 2009. According to the latest 2012 ranking of the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan, Quaid-i-Azam University is ranked first in the general category. As per rankings of OIC universities, QAU stood first in ranking among Muslim countries universities. More than 80% of the teachers hold doctoral degrees and have overseas experience.
|Bachelor's (B.A, BS.,BBA, Pharm,D)||Business Administration, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economic, Electronics, Geo-physics, Information Technology, Law, Mathematics, Pharmacy, Physics, Statistics,|
|Master's (MA, MSC, MPA)||Animal Sciences, Anthropology, Archaeology, Biochemistry, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computer Science, Defense & Strategic Studies, Earth Sciences, Economics, Electronics, Gender Studies, History, Information Technology, International Relations, Linguistics, Mathematics, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Pakistan Studies, Physics, Plant Sciences, Political Science, Political Studies, Psychology, Public Administration, Sociology, Statistics.|
|Master of Science (MS)||Archaeology, Business Administration, Gender Studies, Linguistics.|
|Master of Philosophy||American Studies, Animal Sciences, Anthropology, Asian Studies, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Defense & Strategic Studies, Earth Sciences, Economics, Electronics, Environmental Sciences, History, International Relations, Management Sciences, Mathematics, Microbiology, Pakistan Studies, Pharmacy, Physics, Plant Sciences, Psychology and Statistics|
|PhD||All engineering disciplines, interdisciplinary areas, science disciplines and the humanities and social sciences.|
Notable alumni and faculty
- Marriyum Aurangzeb
- Ahmed Hassan Dani
- Muhammad Suhail Zubairy
- Akbar S. Ahmed
- Pervaiz Iqbal Cheema
- Pervez Hoodbhoy
- Noor Muhammad
- Tasneem M. Shah
- Mazhar Mahmood Qurashi
- Qaiser Mushtaq
- Shamshad Akhtar
- Raziuddin Siddiqui
- Alamgir Hashmi
- Zia Mian
- Khadija Mushtaq
- Muhammad Sharif
- Abrar ul Haq
- Asghar Qadir
- Maliha Lodhi
- Rasul Baksh Rais
- Tahir Amin
- Rifaat Hussain
- Shireen Mazari
- Ayesha Siddiqa
- Qamar-uz-Zaman Chaudhry
- Abdul Rashid Ghazi
- Farrukh Khan Pitafi
- Nasim Zehra
- Rana Mubashir
- Maria Sultan
- Ali Tauqeer Sheikh
- Arshad Sharif
- Ansar Pervaiz
- Ilhan Niaz
- Maria Sultan
- Abdus Samad
- Abdullah Yusuf Ali Translation of Al-Qura'an 2: 269
- Qau Press. "Message from V.C.". Qau Press. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "Qau introduction". Qau press. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Qau address". Google maps. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Overall Top 10 HEIs of Pakistan". Higher Education Commission, Pakistan. 6 March 2012. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- QAU ranked 69th among world top 100 universities
- Haq, Riaz (June 17, 2013). "2013 rank: Three Pakistani universities among world’s top 200". Express Tribune, June 17, 2013. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Naeem, Waqas (July 6, 2013). "Where to study: HEC releases university rankings for 2013". Express Tribune, July 6, 2013. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Institute of Theoretical Physics, Qau". Institute of Theoretical Physics, Qau. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Dept. of Mathematics. "Dept. of Mathematics". Dept. of Mathematics. Dept. of Mathematics. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- Yusuf, Sohail (23 February 2012). "Quaid-e-Azam University declared as top university of Pakistan". Dawn news, 2013. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "ASC, QAU".
- "QS Asian University Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2012. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- Asian Universities Ranking 2007
- Ranking of World Top Universities
- Ranking of Higher Education Commission (HEC) Recognized Universities in Pakistan
- "Ranking of Universities". Organization of Islamic Conference.